September 19, 2010

 

Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free

I think I mentioned recently that I’m back to eating dairy free.  I’m also mostly soy free.  The reason for these additional diet restrictions is related to my thyroid problems.  I will probably write a post about that at a later date after I’ve seen what effect it has. 

It’s been hot since these diet changes, and so I’m just now getting around to trying my hand a baking.  I thought it would be a good time to remind you that many recipes can easily be made dairy free and soy free by substituting.  Soy is often used in dairy substitutes, so it can be a bit challenging.  I have been using Spectrum organic palm oil shortening which is not hydrogenated.  I found a soy free version of Earth Balance spread, but not the sticks, so I haven’t tried that.

I recently made my favorite gluten-free chocolate chip cookies using the Spectrum shortening and Ghirardelli chocolate chips which are dairy free but contain soy lecithin.  I didn’t change anything about the recipe except to replace the butter with shortening.  They turned out great!

chocolate chip cookies - dairy free 2

A few of my favorite bread recipes are naturally dairy free including my wonderful French bread which I made the other night for dinner.  I used millet flour in place of sorghum and loved the bread even more than before.  How I wish I had taken a picture of it.  It rose so nicely, and my husband said, “This is just like regular bread.”  Here’s a picture of the bread made with sorghum:

French bread with garlic butter

I also like making that recipe as French bread rolls, but with more whole grain and less starch.  This version uses sorghum and millet.

French bread rolls in basket 2

Then there’s my favorite focaccia bread and hamburger buns recipe that uses olive oil and water.

hamburberbun_thumb8[1]

If you haven’t tried these recipes, yet, all of them are favorites in this house.  I think you will enjoy them, and there is no need to apologize for the fact that they are gluten free, dairy free, and soy free.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Gluten free french bread was like the sweet mystery of life solved for our family. It really does taste like real bread. Stays soft, tastes great. Im going to try your recipe this week with millet since I'm out of sorghum.
 
These all look fabulous! I have tried my hand at GF bread with little luck. I plan to do more bread baking this fall and winter so I'm glad to have found your recipes. Thanks.
 
Great post; I love your recipes and these sound fabulous.
Thank you; enjoy your weekend!
 
I'm excited that you made your bread using millet flour instead of sorghum with great success, Linda! I can't do sorghum, but I do love baking with millet flour. So, I'll definitely be giving that version a try soon. BTW, I was just mentioning your foccacia on my gfe Facebook page to a reader. :-)

Thanks also for the report on Spectrum. I've been reluctant to add something into my baking that I have to travel a half hour to the upscale grocery store to get, but it sounds like it's worth it for sure!

Shirley
 
I'm excited that you made your bread using millet flour instead of sorghum with great success, Linda! I can't do sorghum, but I do love baking with millet flour. So, I'll definitely be giving that version a try soon. BTW, I was just mentioning your foccacia on my gfe Facebook page to a reader. :-)

Thanks also for the report on Spectrum. I've been reluctant to add something into my baking that I have to travel a half hour to the upscale grocery store to get, but it sounds like it's worth it for sure!

Shirley
 
I love your french bread recipe - I'll definitely have to try it with millet flour. Sounds good.
 
Which Ghiradelli chips are dairy free? Even the 60% I've found have milk fat...please tell me :)
 
I used the Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips. Ingredients: semi-sweet chocolate (sugar, unsweetened chocolate, cocoa butter, soy lecithin, vanilla). It is however manufactured on equipment that also makes products containing milk. But I'm not as careful with milk as I am with gluten.
 
you would be proud of me Linda, I ground my own brown rice and millet yesterday! I am excited to try making french bread with one or both of the flours.
 
Celeste Jean ~ I AM proud of you! I don't remember if I mentioned it in other posts, but freshly ground flour has more air and does not measure the same. If I'm using it just after milling, I pack it down a bit. Once it sits for a few hours it should be okay, though.
 
Thanks for the tip Linda!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]