December 11, 2008

 

This Week's Menu & Nacho Casserole Recipe

When I wrote my first "What's for Dinner?" post I thought I would write at least one per week, but I haven't done it. My reasoning behind the "What's for Dinner?" idea is that it helps people new to the gluten-free diet to have an idea of what other people eat. As I mentioned here, I don't menu plan. However, I thought I would show you this week's menu since it's half over and I have a good idea of what we'll have the rest of the week. I also have a recipe for you!

Sunday: Roast beef, brown rice (out of potatoes), gravy (made with corn starch), fresh steamed broccoli

Monday: Nacho Casserole (recipe below), salad

Tuesday: Baked chicken breasts with olive oil and dry Italian and Ranch dressing mixes sprinkled on top, quinoa, fresh steamed green beans

Wednesday: Sausage, pancakes, and fresh fruit

Thursday: Roast chicken, mashed potatoes, zucchini and onions sauteed in butter with dill weed

Friday: Gluten-free pizza (see recipe index), salad

Saturday: Leftover chicken used in a soup or casserole, not sure what else

Gluten-Free Nacho Casserole


Ingredients
1 pound ground beef
1 pkg. taco seasoning (McCormick is GF)
1 can refried beans (or other beans of choice)
1 c. salsa
1 c. shredded cheese (cheddar or Mexi blend)
Tortilla chips

Instructions
Cook and drain the beef. Add the taco seasoning mix and prepare according to the package instructions. In a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, spread the refried bean over the bottom. Add the beef spreading it evenly to the edges. Pour the salsa on top. You can use more than 1 cup if desired. Put some lightly crushed tortilla chips over top. You don't want crumbs, just not really big chips. Put on a thick layer. Top with the shredded cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.

Note: This is not a thick casserole. We ate it all and could have eaten more, but didn't really need more.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I noticed that one night you're making quinoa. Do you think you could post a recipe for this? I don't like it, but I think it's because I haven't found a way to fix it so that it tastes good.

Thanks!
 
I have to admit that quinoa isn't anyone's favorite around here, but everyone does eat it. I follow the basic cooking instructions on the package except that I substitute chicken broth for the water. My family likes it much better this way. It's also good if you add some sauteed onion and garlic to it.
 
1) Have you tried a quinoa breakfast porridge with oats?
2) Or you can add peanut butter and vegetable broth when you cook it as a side dish.
3)I like to play with the cooking liquid... maybe apple cider, butternut squash and dried cranberries?
 
I've never tried a quinoa breakfast porridge. The peanut butter idea sounds interesting, but my husband can't do peanuts. Maybe I'll try it for the kids. Apple cider sounds good too.

Lately I've been mixing the quinoa with rice and one kid definitely prefers it that way.

Thanks for the ideas!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]