September 12, 2008

 

Sorghum Bread Recipe

loaf of sliced gluten-free sorghum bread
I'm working on coming up with a bread recipe that I can make from scratch, that looks good, tastes good, is healthy, and stays soft. This comes pretty close. It is not a very tall loaf and wasn't very rounded on top. It's more of a hearty type bread. I saved a piece to in a baggie to keep on the counter overnight and found that it was still soft the next day.


Sorghum Bread

1 1/2 c. sorghum flour
1 c. tapioca starch
1/2 c. brown sweet rice flour
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. guar gum
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tb. sugar
2 1/4 tsp. instant yeast

3 eggs (room temperature, lightly beaten)
1/4 c. oil
1 1/2 tsp. vinegar
3/4 - 1 c. milk (105 - 115 degrees)

I made this in the bread machine, but you could adapt it to make it by hand.

Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Put the wet ingredients into the bread pan, then add the dry ingredients on top. Set your maching to the gluten-free setting.

a loaf of gluten-free sorghum bread
I customized my gluten-free setting to the following times.

  • Knead 15 min.
  • Rise 30 min.
  • Bake 55 min.



View Printable Recipe

Labels:


Comments:
Hi,
My name is David and I'm a Coeliac/Celiac.
I like the look of the bread, I'm a self taught baker from 'scratch' and have devised my own recipes for bread and cakes.
I don't use a bread maker, all my baking is done in the oven.
Baking to me is a 'Art' and baking GF is a mostly unforgiving Art, in so far as recipes must be nearly exact.
.
I have only so far used the following flours, brown rice, ground rice (like cream of rice), cornflour/starch, tapioca flour/starch, Gram flour (Besan, Chickpea), Buckwheat, Polenta, ground almonds/meal.
.
Considering I don't have the range of GF flours at my disposal, that you do, I think I've done pretty good, all things considered.
.
Website: http://daveurde1.spaces.live.com/
.
Best Regards,
David
 
Hi David. Thanks for visiting and commenting. It sounds like you have done well, and your site is a wealth of information. I tried to leave a comment, but I don't have an ID.
 
Thanks for the visit, while the MSN Web Space is ok,
I am in the process of copying all the information and recipes to my new Blog it makes access much easier and tags make everything so much easier to find.
.

glutenfree-au-naturale
.
Best Regards,
David
 
made this today and mine didnt come out as toasted looking... But it is light and looks like it would taste good! lol
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]