February 7, 2011

 

Curried Roast and Carrots (Slow Cooker)

curried roast and carrots
Curry is not a spice I have been known to cook with, but after seeing a number of tasty looking recipes that used curry, I recently picked some up at the grocery store.  I knew my husband wouldn’t be thrilled with it, but he has been known to learn to like new foods and flavors.  I was just waiting for the right moment.

Last week, several of us in the house were fighting colds, and one particular day I decided to put dinner in the slow cooker, because I knew I wouldn’t feel up to cooking later that evening.  I had a top round roast that needed to be used, and as I was deciding what to do with it I remembered the curry.  Yes, some strong spices like curry and ginger seemed perfect for combating a cold.  This is the resulting recipe.  I can’t say it was a huge hit with my husband.  He ate it, but wasn’t interested in the leftovers.  The kids did enjoy it though, so I think it will make its way to are table again after a while.

This recipe is large because I was using a large slow cooker (mine is 6 quart) and because I had a large roast.  You could easily cut this in half, but it would work best in a smaller (3-4 quart) slow cooker.

curried beef and carrots on plate

Slow Cooker Curried Roast & Carrots

Peel and chop the onions and place them in the bottom of a large (6 quart) slow cooker.  Peel the carrots and cut them into 1 inch pieces.  Place on top of the onions.  Place the two bay leaves on top of the carrots.

Combine the broth, curry powder, ginger, salt, pepper, and tapioca.  Pour about half over the vegetables.  Place the roast on top, and pour the remaining broth over it.  Cover and cook on low for about 3-4 hours or until the meat reaches your desired internal temperature.  If you want the vegetables more done, turn your slow cooker to high and continue to cook them while the meat rests.

A green side salad goes nicely with this meal.

View Printable Recipe

Labels: ,


Comments:
Hi Linda,

This looks so tasty! I especially want to try it because it looks like a nice easy way to make a roast (which I don't do too often). I've linked this recipe in my Fav Top Ten Recipes of last week post. Thanks! ~Aubree Cherie
 
Hmmm...why tapioca? What could I use instead?

Thanks! (could you email me the answer)?

healthymamarama (at) hotmail (dot) com
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]