January 28, 2011

 

Fried Rice Variations

fried rice 1
It’s been a while since I posted a dinner recipe, and most of us benefit from a few new dinner ideas.  If you’re like me, it can be easy to get stuck in a rut of making the same recipes.  That’s why I love sharing what we’re having for dinner on my Facebook page.  On weeknights, I post what we’re having (usually between 5:00 and 6:00 p.m. eastern time) and other people leave comments telling us what they are having.  It’s a great place to get new ideas, especially if you are new to the gluten-free diet.

This dinner is nothing fancy.  It was quick and easy and also quite good.  In fact, I was simply using up leftovers in my refrigerator.  I want to share it with you to remind you that we don’t always have to follow recipes exactly as they are used traditionally.  Fried rice is a well known dish, and the idea of it can be used in many ways.  For this meal I fried leftover rice, red quinoa, and pasta.  I didn’t have enough of any one of those, but combined, it was just the right amount. 

I added in cubed leftover pork chops, zucchini, and of course egg which is a common ingredient in fried rice. The great thing about fried rice is that you can use so many different ingredients.  By varying the meat, vegetables, and grain, you can create numerous meals that are basically the same recipe but taste very different. Here is a version I made using brown rice, onions, red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, and ham.

fried rice 3
In addition to being quick and easy, fried rice is also a frugal meal for several reasons.  1) If you use leftovers as I did, then it's a great way to keep food from going to waste.  2) You can use only a little meat and add eggs for additional protein. 3) Rice is generally inexpensive.  Quick.  Easy.  Frugal.  Tasty.  What more could you ask for?

I don’t have a real recipe for you, but I’ll give you some guidelines for those who aren’t used to making fried rice. 

Basic Fried Rice

(amounts are all approximate)
Heat 1 Tb. of the oil in a wok, electric skillet, or large skillet on your stove.  Add the vegetables and stir fry them until tender.  Remove and keep warm.  Add a little more oil and the cubed meat.  Heat and stir until the meat is hot and browned.  Remove and keep warm.  Heat the rest of the oil and add the rice (or whatever you choose).  Stir and heat until hot through.  Push the rice to one side and add the egg.  Quickly scramble the egg, breaking it up into pieces.  Mix the rice in with the egg.  Add some soy sauce and stir.  Add the reserved vegetables and meat, stir together, then add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve immediately.

View Printable Recipe

You can find other frugal ideas at the Frugal Fridays blog carnival at Life As Mom.  For more real food recipes, check out Real Food Weekly at the W.H.O.L.E. Gang.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Love fried rice. It's so easy to cook and serve...delicious, too.
 
Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy finding new recipes to share with everyone. Feel free to check out my recipes also.
 
nice pic of the Chicken Fried Rice
 
Being an arthritis sufferer for many years I have accelerated the pain. But now it's getting worse. I have read that gluten can cause problems for arthritis sufferers. So, I am collecting recipes that use gluten free ingredients to give it a try.
 
Hey! I know what I am having for dinner tonight!Thank you so much for sharing this. I have made stir fries for years, but I've never made fried rice...I will now! Thanks again. Kay Guest
 
I love to make fried rice. It makes me smile, because it reminds me of the college friend from Thailand who taught me how to make it. I can still hear her saying, "Not hot! Not hot!" as she poured what seemed like handfuls of cayenne in. I don't make mine quite as spicy as she did.
 
What a great twist on a dish. Thank you for sharing this on Real Food Weekly.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]