November 15, 2010

 

Ham Loaf


ham loaf whole2The holidays are approaching, and while we often look for new recipes to serve on the actual holiday, it’s also nice to have new ways to use the leftovers.  This is a great way to use leftover cooked ham.  I know Thanksgiving is turkey day, but some people might also serve ham.  I actually used turkey ham for this recipe.

Ham loaf might not be new to you, but was new for me.  I was looking for a way to use up some ham and came across a ham loaf recipe.  I then looked up other similar recipes and came up with a combination of things I liked best about each.  We really enjoyed this ham loaf and I know I’ll be making it again.

I have seen recipes for larger loaves, but they take longer to cook (up to 2 hours).  An hour cooking time is pushing it for me.  I put the loaf together in the morning, placed it in the loaf pan, covered it with foil, and refrigerated it until evening.  Then while the oven was preheating I made the glaze to go on top.

Most glaze recipes use some vinegar with the water, or even all vinegar.  My family does not like vinegar and I was afraid it would ruin the ham loaf for them.  Feel free to substitute apple cider vinegar for part of the water in the glaze.

ham loaf slice

Gluten-Free Ham Loaf

Glaze
Grind the cooked ham by finely chopping it in a food processor.  (If you have a meat grinder that should work too.)

ham - groundPlace all the loaf ingredients in the bowl of your stand mixer and mix on low for about a minute of just until all the ingredients are well combined (no lumps of potato flakes).  Or put the ingredients in a large bowl and mix by hand.

Press the mixture together and place it in a greased/sprayed 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.  Press it into a loaf shape. 

Combine the glaze ingredients in a small sauce pan and heat until boiling.  Boil a couple of minutes, then pour over the loaf.

Bake the loaf at 375° for about 45 – 55 minutes, basting once or twice. 

View Printable Recipe

This post is part of Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.  All are food carnivals which are not gluten-free, but you may find some naturally gluten-free recipes there as well as inspiration for converting recipes to be gluten free.

Labels: ,


Comments:
My wonderful foster mom used to make ham loaf. I'd never heard of it until then. I have warm thoughts about her kitchen and the love there when i think of this.

I no longer eat meat, but if i did, i think i'd be making this to remember her by. :)
 
We love ham at our house. I've never had ham loaf, but we've enjoyed ham salad before. This loaf looks really good, Linda. Next time I have some ham to use up, I'll definitely try this, thank you!

Shirley
 
This looks really Incredible. Wow!
 
What a unique recipe! I like ham, but had never heard of a ham loaf.
 
My MIL used to make a ham loaf and she was the only one I knew who did. We liked it back in the 80s. I'd say it was one of those old-fashioned, retro 50s dishes that remind some of their childhood. Everything old is new again. :)
 
I've never made a ham loaf but this sounds and looks delicious. I'll put it on my list to try.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]