August 23, 2010

 

Zucchini Scramble

Two out of three zucchini plants are still in my garden, but they are no longer producing.  I had a little bit of powdery mildew which I was able to control, but the real problem was squash vine borer.  Those little buggers can kill a plant quickly.  My remaining plants are hanging on, and I keep hoping I’ll find a nice size zucchini on them again.  All I’ve harvested over the past couple of weeks has been a couple of tiny zucchini that would not get any bigger.

I am still getting some zucchini from my CSA box, though, and since it’s one of our favorite vegetables, I’m always interested in zucchini recipes.  This modified recipe came from that cookbook I found at the library this summer.

zucchini scramble in dish

Gluten-Free Zucchini Scramble
Chop the onion.  Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and then slice it.  I prefer to not slice mine too thin so they don’t get overdone.  Add the flour to the zucchini slices and toss to coat.  I think you could omit the flour, but I decided to use it since the original recipe called for it.

zucchini scramble-floured zucchini

Heat the oil in a large skillet and stir-fry the zucchini, onion, and garlic with the basil or dill until the onion and zucchini are tender.

In a separate skillet, brown the ground beef and drain.  Or, you could cook the beef first, remove it from the skillet and then cook the veggies.  Combine the beef and vegetables in one skillet.  Season with salt and pepper. 

Beat the eggs with the water (or milk) and pour over the mixture in the skillet.  Heat and stir until the egg is set.

View Printable Recipe

I served it in this lovely antique dish. 

yellow antique dish

For more fabulous (mostly gluten-free) recipes, check out Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.  For more gluten-free ideas visit Lisa's new carnival Gluten-Free & Healthy.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Sounds yummy and exactly like something I would do to use up a never ending crop of zucchini! :)

My recipe last night was this: 2 cups large cubed zucchini, 1 large onion sliced pole to pole, about 1 cup sliced red pepper (I had this in the freezer so I just used what I had, but you could use more), 1 lb smoked sausage. Cook veggies until just tender, add sausage and cook until heated through. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with steamed rice. Yummy!
 
What a delicious and healthy way to start off the day! I am going to see if I can sneak some zucchini into my kid's breakfast this week.
 
Those squash vine borers are real pests. Glad you still have some zucchini hanging on! I love zucchini in my scrambled eggs!
 
Looks yummy Linda.
Thank-you for linking up with the Food & Health Carnival this week.
Have a wonderful weekend.
http://www.lisasglutenfree.com
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]