August 30, 2010

 

Brown Rice Salad

Two of my three boys are fair skinned with reddish hair.  They sunburn easily which is one of the reasons summer is not my favorite season.  We haven’t had a pool membership for a number of years, but we did when they were little.  The problem was that even with 30 or 50 spf sunscreen, my oldest would burn anytime before 4 pm.  As a result 4:00 – 6:00 was our usual pool time.  On Sundays, we often went as a family and ate dinner there—a cold dinner that I could pack in the cooler.

This salad was one of my stand-by recipes for such occasions.  It still reminds my boys of those days.  While it works as a cold meal, we prefer it warm so I suggest trying it that way first.

brown rice salad

Gluten-Free Brown Rice Salad

If serving this warm, cook the rice and heat the chicken or ham.  Combine the rice, chicken or ham, green onions and almonds.  You could use the pot you cooked your rice in.  In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and salad dressing.  Pour over the rice mixture and stir to coat.  Serve

If serving this cold, use leftover chicken or ham and do not heat it.  Follow the directions above and chill before serving.

View Printable Recipe

This recipe is linked to the following food carnivals which are not gluten-free, but are still a good resource.

Labels:


Comments:
My mom used to make something very similar to this when I was a kid, but it had cheese in it. I think am going to like making this one:)
 
This is great! It looks delicious and convenient. I like the option of having it warm or cold. Yum!
 
I made this tonight and it was delicious! Thanks so much for sharing such a simple recipe.
 
yummy! what a delicious recipe! I want to take it tasty! :)
 
That looks wonderful. Call me sheltered but I never seen anything like this. What a great idea.
 
This sounds good! I've really been getting into brown rice lately, it's not something I grew up with. Thanks for the recipe.
 
I made this recipe tonight and it was delicious!
 
Sounds simple and tasty!
 
Sounds delish!
Thanks for linking up!
~Liz
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]