April 26, 2010

 

Vegetable Lasagna

I apologize if you received this in your reader last week.  I accidentally hit “publish” when I meant to save it for this week.

vegetable lasagna on plate
A friend of mine who has been gluten-free for less than a year recently told me she made a terrific lasagna.  It motivated me to make one myself.  I think this is only the second time I have made gluten-free lasagna.  The first time was a couple of years ago and it was a traditional lasagna.  It was good, but lasagna is a lot of work, and I just never did it again.  This time I decided to try a vegetable lasagna.  I looked at different recipes and chose the parts I liked.

You could vary the vegetables and shred or chop as you wish.  For example, if you have kids who aren’t fans of zucchini you might want to shred it rather than chop it. 

This lasagna was delicious!  I served it as a meatless main dish.  It was actually a busy evening when we had an early dinner and I didn’t serve anything else with it.  The kids all wanted seconds and were filled up and happy.  I hope you enjoy it too.

Gluten-Free Vegetable Lasagna

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 pkg. gluten-free lasagna noodles (I used Tinkyada)
3 large carrots, shredded (about 2 c.)
3 small zucchini, chopped (about 2 c.)
1 small onion, chopped (about 3/4 c.)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. sliced mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt

16 oz. ricotta cheese
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
1 Tb. dried Parsley
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
8 oz. shredded mozzarella (about 2 c.)
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese

1 jar (24 oz.) pasta sauce (see note)

Cook the noodles according to package instructions.  Remember to undercook them a little bit.  I cooked the Tinkyada noodles for 14 minutes.  Drain and rinse the noodles in cold water.  Set aside.

Sauté the mushrooms in a large skillet with a little olive oil (2 Tb.).  Remove them to a bowl, add more oil if needed, and sauté the carrots, zucchini, onion, and garlic until just tender.  Add the mushrooms to the veggies, sprinkle with the salt, and gently mix. 

vegetable lasagna veggies
In a separate bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, parsley, oregano, and basil.

Assembly:  Spread 3/4 c. of the pasta sauce over the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.  Place four lasagna noodles on top of the sauce.


vegetable lasagna assembly 1
Put half the vegetables on the noodles.

vegetable lasagna assembly 2
Dot with half the ricotta cheese mixture.

vegetable lasagna assembly 3
Spread half the remaining pasta sauce over top and sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.

vegetable lasagna assembly 4
Repeat layers: noodles, vegetables, ricotta cheese, sauce, mozzarella cheese.  Add the additional 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese on top.

vegetable lasagna assembly 5
Bake at 350 degrees 35 – 45 minutes until hot and bubbly.  Let rest 10 – 15 minutes before serving.

vegetable lasagna baked

Note:  Most pasta sauce is gluten free.  Be sure to read the ingredients and remember that any wheat will be declared on the label.  I don’t think rye would ever show up in pasta sauce, and I doubt barley would either, but keep your eye out for it (in any product) in the form of malt.

This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, and Tasty Tuesday.

Labels:


Comments:
okay... you have successfully made my tummy growl! This looks amazing!
 
Linda you lasagna recipe looks wonderful!! I told my sister in law about your blog. She has decided to try a gluten free diet and it seems to be agreeing with her. I know your recipes will be helpful to her.
 
This looks so healthy with all of these vegetables.
 
You know, I have never had Vegetable Lasagna?? I must try this for sure, although I will probably use Cottage Cheese because I am not a big fan of Ricotta. Thanks for sharing Linda!

Wonder if this would make a good Quiche filling too? :-)
 
This looks amazing! I'm on a dairy free diet, and I wonder if I could find enough faux cheese to mimic this. I did make a dairy free sort of lasagna that was good. But really, it's all about the cheese isn't it!

~Amber @ The Mom Road
 
We are not a gluten-free family, but this lasagna looks divine! I love a good veggie lasagna... your pic makes me want to make some RIGHT NOW! :)
 
This looks sooo good! I think you could even maybe leave out the noodles! You should come link to Tuesday Tastes! I would love to have you!

www.crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

Happy Day,
Jasey @ Crazy Daisy
 
Lasagna has always been loved by many and this is one way of serving lasagna...healthy! I can't wait to try making one for my family!
 
The weather is just turning colder it's late Autumn here.
Perfect for dinner!

Elaine
 
Just saved this recipe to my Evernote collection! :) Thanks for sharing!
 
I haven't had lasagna for probably almost a year! This looks so amazing. And with all that cheesy goodness, who needs meat anyways?
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]