April 18, 2010

 

Nut Chopper: Tools of the Trade

When I was a kid, I didn’t like nuts in baked goods.  Now I love them, and I’m so glad my kids like them too.  I’ve mentioned in my recipes that it makes a big difference to toast your nuts before putting them into your batter.  It brings out the flavor in the nuts. 

To toast them, put whole or half nuts in a baking ban and bake at 350 degrees about 5 – 10 minutes.  I usually check them after 4 minutes, shake the pan a little and put them back in for 4 minutes.  Let them cool and then chop them. If you chop the nuts before hand, they will burn much too easily.  Always be sure to set a time so you don’t forget about them.

nut chopper
When it comes to chopping nuts, I recently bought a nut chopper.  This was a very inexpensive item I picked up at the grocery store, and I’m so glad I did!  The nuts get chopped quickly and easily, and they don’t scatter all over the place.  You simply place nuts in the top container, turn the handle and the chopped nuts fall into the bottom container.


If you use nuts frequently and don’t have a nut chopper, think about getting one.

A nut chopper works for me.  To see what works for others check out Works for Me Wednesday.

Labels:


Comments:
I love these! I haven't had one in a while though (lost it in a move I think), I typically use a chopper for nuts, but these are so easy to use! I'll have to keep my eyes open at the grocery store :)

~Aubree Cherie
 
Growing up, my mother always had one of these. So much that when I moved out on my own, I had moments where I was wondering how one should chop nuts!?!?! Haha.
 
I'm so glad I found your blog! I have been avoiding stuff with gluten (just because I notice I feel better when I do).

I've never been diagnosed, but I just have learned that my body does NOT react well to sugar or gluten.

I'm subscribing now :-)

Thank you!

Traci
 
I've never seen one like that one! I have one that's a chopper in a jar. My kids LOVE to help with it!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]