April 1, 2010

 

Gluten-Free Hot Pockets

pizza pocket 
Before I embarked on the gluten-free diet, one of my husband’s favorite meals was something we called stuffed crescent rolls.  I used packaged crescent roll dough with two triangles together to make a rectangle.  I put filling on one side of the rectangle, folded it over and sealed it to make a “hot pocket.”  I thought they were good, but my husband absolutely loved them.  It was the only meal he ever mentioned missing.  At first he missed it a lot, but over time we kind of forgot about it. 

Then, recently, I started using the pastry dough recipe I posted last week, and I had the idea to use it for that old favorite of his.  I knew it wouldn’t be exactly the same, but it has been so long neither of us would remember it exactly anyway (certainly the kids wouldn’t).

The dough recipe worked fabulously!  Unfortunately, I forgot to put salt in the recipe that time, and my husband likes his salt.  There was, of course, some salt in the filling, but that’s not quite the same.  He liked it though, and the kids loved it!  I’ll be making these again and trying different fillings.  This filling is the one I used years ago, but I’ve also made some with pizza sauce and pizza toppings. 

I cut the dough into rectangles for this recipe because that’s the shape the old recipe used.  However, with the pizza pockets I used a circular shape which gives it a calzone look.  Either way works.  Using a bowl to cut circles gave the pockets a uniform look, whereas the rectangles ended up being different sizes.  With circles, you have extra pieces to keep picking up and reusing, so do whichever appeals to you.

Gluten-Free Hot Pockets


hot pocket baked
Prepare the pastry dough according to directions.  Brown and drain the ground beef.  Add the tomato paste, water, sugar, oregano, salt, and pepper, and mix well.  Roll the dough and cut into rectangles about 4 inches by 7 inches or circles about 7 – 7 1/2 inches in diameter.  Place filling on one half of the cut dough.  Top with a little cheese.

hot pockets1
pizza pocket with filling

Fold the dough over and press the edges together.  Place on a cookie sheet.  Sprinkle with a little more cheese if desired.

hot pockets on tray
pizza pockets on tray

Bake at 350 degrees 15 – 20 minutes.  Enjoy!

hot pocket cut open

Have you tried that pastry dough recipe yet?  What have you made with it?

You will find more Simply Hot Recipes at The Crazy Kitchen.

Labels:


Comments:
These look fantastic! Very similar to empanadas, and an awesome use for pastry dough! I used a similar technique to make mini apple pies - the filling possibilities are endless!
 
These look incredible. I'll have to try out the pastry dough recipe. Thanks for sharing this.
 
Healthier hot pockets, too! They look wonderful, Linda. I used to make a similar homemade hot pocket with crescent rolls, chicken, and cream cheese. Hubby loved them, too. I will definitely give this a try soon. These are a great way to use leftovers, too. Let everyone choose their filling combinations. ;-)

Shirley
 
I bet those heated all the way through, unlike their Glutenous counterpart! I always used to hate that! The edges would be scalding and the center would mysteriously remain frozen. How is that possible?!
 
I'll have to check out the pastry dough recipe and see what I can do with it. I can't have gluten, but I also can't have any starches or grains, so I'd have to make the dough out of coconut flour. Do you think that would work?

Thanks for sharing! These look delicious. :D
 
freetofeast ~ Sorry, I have only used coconut flour a couple of times and always with other flours, so I couldn't say whether it will work. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.
 
Hi Linda, I wanted to make a crescent type roll. I was thinking your pastry dough would work nicely. Any thoughts? Thanks! Kelly
 
When you posted your original pastry dough recipe I was totally thinking "PIZZA POCKETS!", and here they are. I bet your husband is a very happy man. I can't wait to try making these!
 
Kelly ~ I would try searching for a gf crescent roll recipe. I've seen some that use cream cheese. I don't think this recipe would rise much or be light enough to pass as a crescent roll.
 
OMG, pizza pockets! What a great idea! I'm putting that on my list to trial.
 
Great idea! Years ago, I worked in Product Development for Chef America helping to create the "Lean Pockets" line of Hot Pockets.

I love that you created a GF version! I'm looking forward to trying it

Cindy
wheatlessfoodie.blogspot.com
 
I really need to get on this and make your pastry dough! These would be great - a wonderful treat and the kids would love them.
 
I can't wait to surprise my son with this recipe!
 
Linda, I've tried this recipe twice now and it's great! I did sub a bit of sorghum for the millet flour, but otherwise, it worked like a charm. I've make a dairy-free version once with olive oil - it was quite heavy, so next time I'll try palm shortening. For Father's Day, my dad and I are making 2 dozen assorted hot pockets - blog post to come!
 
Alta, Thanks for the update. I'm glad to know it works with olive oil. I haven't tried a dairy free version yet. I would like to make a batch to freeze, but it's gotten too hot. Sounds like a fun Father's Day!
 
They look great! I am going to try this recipe out. I am a student chef and was asked by an instructor to find a way to literally make gluten free hot pockets! I am going to use an egg wash (1 egg yolk + 1 egg + pinch of salt) on top before baking to give them a nice shine.
 
Great recipe! I used the dough to make savory little meat tartlets. My wheat-intolerant friend enjoyed them very much, as did everybody else!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]