April 12, 2010

 

Chicken Tetrazzini with Broccoli

Tetrazzini on plate

With all my muffin recipes last month, I haven’t posted a good dinner recipe in a while.  This one is a favorite.  It’s not a quick and easy meal so I don’t make it often, but then it is a special treat when I do make it.  I don’t remember where I found the original recipe.  It was easily converted to gluten free by substituting rice flour for wheat flour and using gluten-free spaghetti.  I’ve made a couple of other small changes, including omitting the milk and increasing the stock.  It’s not a dairy free recipe because it does include cheese, but I prefer to cut back on the amount of dairy I’m using, and this recipe is still terrific without the milk.

This is a great recipe for using up leftover chicken, and I’m sure turkey would work well too.  I roasted a large chicken one night, made stock from the carcass, and had this the next night.  This recipe has enough parts to it that you really want to have the chicken already cooked, and you can’t beat homemade stock.

Gluten-Free Chicken Tetrazzini with Broccoli

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

16 oz. broccoli florets (I use frozen for this)
12 oz. gluten-free spaghetti (I use Tinkyada)
4 c. chopped cooked chicken
2 c. sliced mushrooms (~6 oz)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 Tb. butter
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 c. rice flour
4 c. chicken stock
3 oz. shredded Parmesan cheese
2 Tb. white cooking wine
1 tsp. salt (vary according to the stock you use and your taste)
1/8 tsp. pepper

Steam the broccoli until just tender.  Cook the pasta until done.  Set them both aside.  In a large skillet (I used my electric skillet), saute the mushrooms & garlic in butter for several minutes.  Add the oregano and basil and cook another minute. 

Tetrazzini mushrooms

Add three cups of the chicken stock to the skillet.  Combine 1 cup of cold chicken stock with the flour.  Add to the skillet and whisk together.  Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes, stirring/whisking frequently.  Add the cheese, wine, salt, and pepper and mix well.  Remove from heat (or turn off the electric skillet) and stir in the chicken.

Tetrazzini chicken sauce

Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.  Place half the spaghetti in the bottom of the dish.  Add half the broccoli.

Tetrazzini pasta&broccoli

Top with half the chicken mixture. 

Tetrazzini layers in dish
 Repeat the layers.  Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.  Serves 8.

For more recipes visit Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesday, and Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Linda, this tetrazzini looks fantastic! One of my hubby's favorite meals is turkey tetrazzini, but I'm sure he wouldn't refuse chicken tetrazzini. ;-) Like you, I rarely make tetrazzini because it takes some time, but it's worth it. Thanks so much for your recipe! I know he'd love it, so I should make it soon. :-)

Shirley
 
Wow, this looks delish! We love tetrazzini!!
 
Mmmm, tetrazzini. This sounds so yum.
 
Looks great. I found some tasty brown rice spagetti in Trader Joes and Whole Foods. It would work in this dish
 
This looks really good. I've never made tetrazzini before. I'll have to try it out.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]