January 1, 2010

 

Whole Grain Cinnamon Roll Update

cinnamon roll update
Not long ago I gave you a recipe for gluten-free cinnamon rolls that used more whole grain than my original recipe.  They were very good, but for my family, they were not as good as my previous version and therefore not their choice for Christmas morning.

In November, I tried the recipe again but divided the amount of sorghum I had used in half and replaced the other half with millet flour.  The results were terrific.  I was still using whole grain flour, but that whole grain flavor wasn’t quite so strong and my family approved.   In addition, I liked the texture slightly better.

I would have told you this before Christmas, but I forgot to write down what I had done and I wasn’t positive I remembered correctly.  I didn’t want to mess up anyone’s Christmas cinnamon rolls, but I took the chance myself and made them again do what I thought I had done the last time.  So now I’m sure.

I’m not going to repost the recipe, but I will make a note of the change in the whole-grain recipe.  I’m sorry I’m too late for  you to use this for Christmas or even New Year’s Day, but maybe for Valentine’s Day or as a special birthday treat.  Sometimes I make them just because.  Just because they’re so good and my family loves them.

I really appreciate those of you who have left comments or emailed me about the cinnamon roll recipes.    Discovering that recipe was such a big deal for our family, and I’m glad I can pass it on for others to enjoy.



For more tips and ideas on making gluten-free substitutions, visit JennCuisine.com.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I love the combination of sorghum and millet - these look fantastic!
 
I'm so glad you found a multi-grain variation that your whole family loves, Linda. :-) They look scrumptious. I need to give sorghum another try (it's caused some issues previously) and I've never tried millet.

Love the new photo of you! Happy New Year!

Shirley
 
thanks for the update! I think they will work out better with both sorghum and millet - I had made your previous whole grain recipe. Thanks for all your beautiful posts!
 
I will need to try this... love whole grain and love cinnamon rolls!
 
Definitely bookmarking these. I looooove cinnamon buns but I hate how much refined carbs they have. This definitely looks like one tasty solution!
 
What can I substitute for the corn starch? ... my husband doesn't tolerate corn products, but my daughter does. I'm trying to make it work for both of them.
 
Lee ~ Someone else said they used tapioca starch successfully. Potato starch would probably work too.
 
Okay so I didnt have the millet flour and used the Brown rice instead. They just came out of the oven and I WANT TO TRY THEM but I just ate lunch lol So... I will test them out of the kids in a few. I used regular eggs. I had to add more sorghum flour while it was mixing bc it was WAY wet. I didnt even use the extra 1/4 milk that was left. Right now your bread is cooking in my bread machine lol WE will see how that turns out as well. My son (10) said your making GF stuff? Mom that taste horrible! LOL WE have tried store bought bread and I think thats what he is refering too. I said well... mommy made it this time.. lets see how it comes out! THANKS!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]