January 18, 2010

 

Chicken & Green Bean Casserole

I hope you all are working on creating your own casseroles.  It will be the theme for the February 3rd carnival so you still have plenty of time.

Recently I roasted a chicken and had some pieces leftover to use for dinner the next night.  I was really in the mood for chicken divan, but was out of broccoli.  I did have frozen green beans, however.  Chicken divan with green beans?  I wasn’t sure so I asked people on Twitter what they thought.  I got several responses telling me to go for it, and I did.  After thinking about it, I realized I just had to think of it as a chicken and green bean casserole, not as chicken divan.  There was no reason why green beans wouldn’t go well with chicken.

Instead of using cream of chicken soup in this recipe I used thickened broth, like a gravy.  I did put cheese on top, but if you wanted to make it dairy free you could add a different topping.  I’m listing approximate amounts because it depends on the size dish you use and your tastes.

chicken & green bean casserole - on plate

Gluten-Free Chicken & Green Bean Casserole


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook the green beans to desired doneness, remembering they will cook a little more in the oven.  Spread the green beans in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.

chicken & green bean casserole - beans
While the beans are cooking, make the gravy/sauce.  Whisk the cornstarch into the chicken broth while it is cold.  Add the salt, pepper, and oil and heat, whisking frequently, until mixture is thickened.  It won’t be as thick as a cream soup, more like a gravy.  Add the chicken pieces to the gravy and stir to coat, then spread it on top of the green beans.

chicken & green bean casserole - chicken
Sprinkle grated cheese on top, using as much as you like.  Or try a different topping such as tater tots, or bread crumbs tossed with a little oil.

chicken & green bean casserole - cheese
Bake at 350 degrees 20 – 30 minutes, until hot.  As you can see from the first picture, I served it with French fries which the kids loved, but it would go well with rice or quinoa.

This post is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday,  and Slightly Indulgent Tuesday.

Labels:


Comments:
Sounds great to me, Linda! I've been doing a lot of experimenting lately based on ingredients on hand. Haven't been getting to the grocery store for a variety of reasons. I thought of you and the creating a casserole theme last night when I had no tomato sauce on hand and used chili sauce and topped my casserole with my garlic cheese biscuit batter. The combo worked well, but my camera is still in the shop so no photo. I'll keep playing around and hope it comes in before the deadline. In the mean time, I have the ingredients for your recipe and will have to give it a try. :-)

Shirley
 
This looks really good! I was always a big fan of the green bean casserole but now can't eat it. But this look so much better anyway!

Since I can't do dairy, I love your suggestion of tator tots on top too.

~Aubree Cherie
 
Wow ok that looks amazing! Love that you can do the different toppings to make it like a new meal!

Stopping by from TMTT
 
Grace loves green beans and chicken. This is be a great recipe for our family. Thanks for linking your recipe to TMTT.
 
where do you buy gluten free french fries?
 
Ore Ida frozen fries are gluten free. You can see their gf list here:
http://www.glutenfreehomemaker.com/2009/06/ore-ida-tater-tots-heinz-gluten-free.html

Always check the ingredients list though, in case there has been a change.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]