November 1, 2009

 

Multi-Grain Apple Muffins

There are very few foods I miss since being on a gluten-free diet.  One of them is bran muffins.  The kind made from All Bran cereal.  I don’t miss them a lot, but I miss them a little.  I remember getting up in the morning at my grandmother’s house to find warm bran muffins in the crock pot.  I loved them with a little butter.

These muffins are great breakfast muffins.  The texture is soft, and I love the combination of flavors--grains, apple, and spices.  The spices are subtle, so add more if you like. If you don’t have all the flours, you can substitute a gluten-free flour mix for the total amount of flour, or substitute brown rice flour for one or more of the whole grains.  These muffins were best when fresh and still warm.  They dried out more than most of the muffins I’ve made, maybe because of the buckwheat flour.  I didn’t let that keep me from eating them the next day, though.  They can be warmed in an oven with a dish of water to add moisture, or in the microwave.  Adding a little butter helps too.

Gluten-Free Multi-Grain Apple Muffins

multigrain apple muffins 
Ingredients
multigrain apple muffin, cut


Instructions
In a medium sized bowl combine the dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl or glass measuring cup combine the wet ingredients and add to the dry ingredients.  Mix until all the flour is moistened. Fold in the chopped apple. I used a large apple and could barely get all the batter into the muffin cups.  A smaller apple would work better, or part of a large one.  Spoon the batter into a  greased muffin tin and bake at 400 degrees for 18 - 20 minutes.

View Printable Recipe

This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Mondays at Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free.

Labels: ,


Comments:
These look good! I miss bran muffins too. I'll have to give this recipe a try!
 
Those look yummy! Thanks for sharing!
~Liz
 
Ooh, yummy! these do sound healthy and tasty.
 
these look so great, Linda!
 
I miss bran muffins, too. There is something so wholesome about them - I sure wish that I could still eat them. It seems like it's the one thing I haven't been able to replicate. I like to use flax meal but it doesn't have the same effect.

Thanks so much for sharing this at Slightly Indulgent Mondays!
 
These look great! I haven't made muffins since I started eating gluten-free, but I used to make them all the time. I hope I can find some time to try these!
 
We must be on the same wavelength - I was totally wanting apple muffins too! Yours look delicious :)
 
I sure wish that I could still eat them. It seems like it's the one thing I haven't been able to replicate. I like to use flax meal but it doesn't have the same effect.
Work From Home
 
Would you please tell me what the unflavored gelatin does in baking. I am new to GF baking and am not sure where to start, have only made from mixes but ready to try some real baking. Thank you for your descriptions with each recipe.
 
In wheat recipes, gluten is a binder. We have to replace it with other ingredients that also act as binders such as eggs, xanthan gum, and unflavored gelatin. The gelatin also seems to help make it soft. Many gf recipes do not use it, however, and it is optional. Give it a try and see if you think it makes a difference.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]