November 5, 2009

 

Cranberry-Orange Coffee Cake

Last Friday I was shopping at BJ’s and saw a big bag of beautiful cranberries.  I almost picked them up, then decided not to, then picked them up.  I didn’t know what I was going to do with them, but they were calling to me.  A couple of days later I was wondering what the theme was for this week’s Friday Foodie Fix, so I stopped by The W.H.O.L.E. Gang and saw that it was….cranberries!

I was excited about trying some new cranberry recipes this week until I realized that I had a very busy week with little time to go to the grocery store or do any baking.  I had to make something, though.  I’ll tell up front that my first “something” was a flop.  Yes, I do have flops.  I decided to make muffins and saw another recipe that paired cranberries with pumpkin.  That sounded good so I quickly went about throwing together a muffin recipe.  Unfortunately, I didn’t take into account the moisture in the pumpkin when I decided on the amount of milk I would use.  They were way too wet and heavy.  They never cooked completely on the inside and ended up in the trash.

The next day I went to the grocery store and picked up some oranges thinking to use them in a cranberry recipe.  This time I took my time putting together something I would like, and here is what I came up with.  It is delicious.  I love the flavor combination, and it’s easy to make.

Coffee cakes are generally a little sweeter than I like to eat for breakfast, especially with a topping, but this one has enough whole grain, nut, and berry goodness that I even ate it for breakfast.

Gluten-Free Cranberry-Orange Coffee Cake

cranberry coffee cake 3
Ingredients
Topping
Instructions
In the bowl of your mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.  Add the eggs and beat until light and fluffy.  Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl.  Add them to the egg mixture alternately with the orange juice, beginning and ending with the flour.  Stir in the zest, cranberries, and pecans.  Spread the batter in a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan. 
cranberry coffee cake 1
Combine the topping ingredients with  a pastry blender and sprinkle on top of the batter.  cranberry coffee cake 2 Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.

Note:  My nuts were closer to being ground than chopped because my food processor was dirty and I decided to use my Magic Bullet.

View Printable Recipe

This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Mondays at Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Cranberry and orange are such a great combo! This sounds fantastic Linda!
 
Glad to hear you make flops too! :) Those look delicious, and I like that they're muffins rather than a cranberry bread.
 
Yum! This sounds tasty. You've just inspired me...I was thinking of making a gluten-free orange bread (a similar variety to the cupcakes that they used to sell at Starbucks), now I think I'll throw some cranberries in!
 
Linda, that cake looks so moist and yummy!

Enjoy!
 
Well, your second cranberry recipe turned out great! Too funny on the serendipity of buying cranberries and the Friday Foodie Fix ... the universe works in amazing ways. ;-)

A suggestion ... be creative with flops. Broken into pieces with a few minutes under the broiler, those failed muffins might have become great "granola" or crumb topping for ice cream even. I used to throw my failures away, but then started getting inventive. It's been fun seeing what I can come up with. :-)

Shirley
 
Sometimes you never know until you give it a try. Glad we were thinking on the same wave length about cranberries. So glad you shared this on Friday Foodie Fix. Will you go back and try the pumpkin muffins again? So many of my baking adventures end up in the disposal. Glad you tried again because this looks really good.
 
Hi - my husband is turned off by the potato starch taste for some reason. Any suggestion what I could replace it? Perhaps more brown rice flour?

Thanks!
Christi King
 
Christi - I think more rice flour would make it too heavy. I would try substituting more millet if he doesn't like any starches. Otherwise, you could sub corn or tapioca starch.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]