November 9, 2009

 

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

One evening last week I had a craving for macaroni and cheese.  It is such a comfort food, but not one I’m in the mood for very often.  I had seen a couple of good looking recipes recently, but I only wanted it made one way – like Mom’s.  What is more comforting than eating a tasty dish your mom has made for years?

Mom doesn’t have an exact recipe, so I had to come up with the amounts.  Sadly, I forgot the butter.  It was still good, but didn’t taste quite the same.  I think Mom usually uses more butter than what I put in the recipe, but it doesn’t take much to give it that buttery flavor.  You could cut back on it or leave it out as I did if you’re concerned about the calories, but remember it is macaroni and cheese.

As for the pasta, macaroni is one of my least favorite shapes.  I love penne, but decided to use spirals this time.  I used Tinkyada brand (as always), but any gluten-free pasta should work well.

Mom’s Baked Macaroni and Cheese

macaroni & cheese on plate
Ingredients
Instructionsmacaroni & cheese in dish
Cook and drain the pasta according to package instructions.  Spray or butter a 9 x 13 baking dish. Combine the milk and eggs.  Put half the pasta in the dish.  Drizzle half the butter over the pasta, then half the milk mixture.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.  Put half the shredded cheese on top.  Repeat the layers.  Bake at 350 degrees about 30 minutes or until the egg mixture has set.

Note:  I’m guessing at the amount of cheese.  Use as much or little as you like.

This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Looks good, Linda!
 
If you ever visit NYC, you have to go to S'Mac...best gluten-free mac and cheese ever! Actually, best mac and cheese ever, gluten-free or not.
 
I love mac and cheese & this looks like a fabulous incarnation of it =D.
 
Ooh, that looks delicious! I LOVE homemade mac'n cheese. Thanks so much for sharing.
XO*Tricia
 
OMG....drooling...lol!!

Looks SO good!
 
GREAT!!! recipe for a the families favorite.
Geri
 
This recipe look SO good! I want to make it right away :)
ATX gluten free
 
I haven't made mac and cheese for so long. Joe loves it - makes him so darn happy. I'll have to make it again soon. :)

Thanks for linking to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]