October 1, 2009

 

Gluten-Free French Bread Rolls

French bread rolls 2
The other day I wanted to make rolls to go with dinner, and I decided to use my gluten-free French bread recipe.  I made a couple of small changes, but the original recipe should work also. 

I’ve been experimenting with using millet flour, and I really like the results.  If you don’t have millet, just substitute sorghum.  These rolls were wonderful.  They absolutely taste like a “normal” bread, although keep in mind that I have been on a gluten-free diet for almost 9 years.  Everyone enjoyed these, though.  It was difficult to stop eating them.

French bread roll - cut

Gluten-Free French Bread Rolls

Ingredients


  • 1/2 c. sorghum flour French bread rolls - dough



  • 1/2 c. millet flour



  • 1 1/2 c. potato starch



  • 1/2 c. tapioca starch



  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt



  • 1 Tb. sugar



  • 2 tsp. xanthan gum



  • 1 1/2 Tb. instant yeast



  • 1 Tb. olive oil



  • 3 large egg whites



  • 1 tsp. cider vinegar



  • 1 c. warm water (105 – 115 degrees)  



  • Instructions 

    In the bowl of your mixer, combine the dry ingredients. Add the olive oil and egg whites and mix to incorporate. Add the vinegar and most of the water. Beat for 2 minutes, adding the remaining water if needed to make a soft dough. (I held back 2 Tb.)

    Using an ice cream scoop or spoon sprayed with non stick cooking spray, scoop the dough onto a large greased cookie sheet.  Spraying the scoop helps, but I had to respray every couple of times.

    Put the cookie sheet into a cold oven.  Set the temperature at 400 degrees and bake about 25 minutes, depending on the size of the rolls.  The rolls should be light brown on the outside.  Remove from the cookie sheet and cool on a wire rack.

    View Printable Recipe

    This post is linked to Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom.

    Labels:


    Comments:
    I tried your drop biscuits, with very good results. But I'm going to have to try these next time. They look just as good, if not better!
     
    Yum! These look delicious =D. I love the look of them, and how they rose!
     
    These look fabulous! Any suggestions as to how I might make them without the egg (we have egg allergies at our house)?
     
    Those look really good :)
     
    These will go great with my stew this weekend, thanks!
     
    Fayinagirl, I don't have experience with baking egg free. You could try
    using egg replacer. I think Ener-G sells it. I think some people use flax meal also. I have used both of those in baking, but not without eggs. Let me know if you get it to turn out well.
     
    Thanks Linda! My 16 year old informed me in the grocery store this morning that we need to use flax seed. Silly me...apparently I am not watching enough food t.v. ;-)

    I'll let you know how they turn out. =)
     
    Looks delicious! I've uploaded pics of my bread recipe now as you requested. :) It too makes delicious rolls, just brush the top with olive oil and bake the same as yours.

    http://wp.me/pqCPo-hN

    Jessie at Blog Schmog
     
    Made these tonight and they turned out AWESOME!!! I also made the "fake out" Carraba's herb and olive oil dip to dip them in and it was like a real Italian feast. I have SO missed dipping bread into olive oil and this was like gluten free heaven! Even my gluten eating hubby was impressed.
     
    Michelle ~ Thanks for letting me know. I love that kind of story!
     
    I made your french bread rolls and they taste good but came out very hard. Do you have any idea what I did wrong? Thanks!
     
    French bread is supposed to be hard on the outside and it is putting the bread in a cold oven and then turning it on that produces the hard crust. Maybe your oven heats up more slowly than some and makes it even harder. You could try preheating the oven partially or completely before putting the rolls in and see what that does.
     
    If I freeze these, how do I reheat and maintain the great texture and taste?
     
    I haven't frozen these before, so I'm guessing here. Usually breads are best if thawed slowly in the frig, but leaving them out at room temperature will work too. The microwave does a pretty good job of reheating and softening.
     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    Subscribe to Posts [Atom]