September 14, 2009

 

Cinnamon Bundt Cake

cinnamon bundt cake-slice

This gluten-free cake has become one of my favorites.  The whole grain sorghum  blends with the cinnamon to give it a wonderful flavor, and the sorghum also gives it an incredibly soft texture.  No one would guess this cake is gluten free. 

I also like the fact that a little glaze is all that needs to be added on top.  There are times when I enjoy a cake with icing, but I prefer to have a great cake without the icing.

Due to the lack of icing and the whole grain sorghum, I’m making this post part of Slightly Indulgent Mondays at Simply Sugar & Gluten Free.  Stop by for more recipes made a little bit healthier.

Gluten-Free Cinnamon Bundt Cake

Ingredients

cinnamon bundt cake-whole

Instructions

In a small bowl combine the dry ingredients.  In your mixer bowl, beat the butter.  Add the eggs and vanilla and beat again.  Add the dry ingredients and milk alternately in fourths, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.  Mix well, scraping the bottom of the bowl to be sure the butter is incorporated.

Spoon the batter into a sprayed or greased bundt pan.  Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes.  Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.  Top with a glaze (below).

Notes:  This would also make a great spice cake if you want to add cloves, nutmeg, and/or ginger.
This recipe has evolved a little and has always used sour milk, but I think regular milk or a substitute would work also.  Let me know if you try it.

Glaze:  Exact amounts are not necessary, but this will give you a place to start.
1/2 c. powdered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, 2Tb. milk (or enough to get it to the right consistency).  Mix them together and use a spoon to drizzle it over the cake.

Labels: ,


Comments:
looks like a winner!
 
You are rockin' with the good-looking cakes lately, Linda! This one's gorgeous. :-) As much as I like sweets, I prefer a glaze and a simple Bundt cake or pound cake myself.

Shirley
 
I love this cake - all of your cakes, actually. It's sounds delicious. I like cake with ice cream and could leave the icing alone.

I have never made a bundt cake but I think I might have to make this one. I recently added potato starch to my collection of GF flours and it works beautifully.

Thanks so much for participating in Slightly Indulgent Mondays!
 
Oooh, I love how tender sorghum makes just about anything. What a delicious looking cake!
 
Ooo!! I'm a sucker for cinnamon, especially in cakes and this looks simply divine!
 
I love bundt cake and cinnamon to boot ...lovely with coffee and the aroma...I bet was just fine...lol!!

Enjoy!
 
Linda, this looks yummy! I love cinnamon cakes, especially this time of year. The perfect fall treat!

I have to ask, I usually purchase a pre-blended gluten free baking mix (Pamela's, Bob's, Jules, etc.) If I were making this with those, how do the flour measurements change?
 
Betsy - In most of my recipes you can just substitute the total amount of flour/starch that I use for another flour mix. So for this recipe, use 2 cups flour mix. If your mix has xanthan gum, you will want to reduce the amount you add.
 
This bundt cake looks absolutely delicious! I l just found your blog and it looks great. I'm going to browse around...thanks for sharing this recipe.
 
Is this what you made for dessert when we were over? It looks so good! I would have never known it was GF, except for that fact that you made it! It was delicious.
Toni
 
Yum! What a tasty submission. I really like the sweets/carbs theme, so many delicious desserts!
 
A good looking cake but more important, one of my husband's favorites.

Coffee cakes rule the day in our house.
 
Hi. Does this bundt cake stay soft for a day or two? Or does it need to be eaten fresh? So many gluten free recipes dry out quick and I am looking for a moist bundt cake recipe that is gluten free. Thanks.
 
All of my cake recipes are good for a day or two, although they don't last very long around here. Breads are a different story.
 
Fantastic! Just made it for our Super Bowl party tomorrow, but of course had to taste test it beforehand (our excuse being we had to make sure the high altitude adjustments we made were okay). Love it!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]