July 7, 2009

 

Banana Cake – What’s for Dinner Wednesday

What's for Dinner button

 

Welcome! What’s for Dinner Wednesday is usually a carnival of gluten free dinner ideas. This week, we’re doing a dessert edition, but you might still find a dinner idea or two.  If you haven’t participated before, you can read the guidelines here.

First, let me apologize for some confusion last week. Many of you apparently thought having breakfast for dinner was the theme for the week. I didn’t intend it to be a theme, it was just my idea for the week, but I enjoyed everyone’s ideas. When there is a theme, I will give you at least a week’s notice, and the theme is always a suggestion, not a requirement.

Soon after I was diagnosed with celiac disease, I found a gluten free banana cake recipe on the Internet which quickly became a family favorite. You can now find the recipe here. As my repertoire of baked goods increased, I made it less often, but it remains a favorite.

Until this week, I hadn’t made it in a while, but after being away for several days, I had a few bananas that were perfect for use in a cake. The problem was that my frig was rather bare and I didn’t have any sour cream. I was determined to to make it without a trip to the store, so I began to think of substitutes.

I was out of yogurt, and thought I might be stuck until I remembered that this chocolate cake recipe uses mayonnaise. I ended up subbing the mayo for the sour cream and also making a few other changes. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was as good as ever, if not better. This cake is soft and moist and has plenty of banana flavor.

Gluten-Free Banana Cake

Ingredients

Instructions

Using a mixer, cream together the butter, oil, and sugar.  Add the eggs, banana, and vanilla, mixing well. Add the mayonnaise and mix. Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl, then add, mixing until thoroughly incorporated.

Spread the batter in a 9 x 13 inch pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 – 35 minutes. Cool in the pan, or turn onto a rack if desired.

This cake is good with a cream cheese or vanilla frosting. It’s also great without any. This time I used a simple vanilla glaze.

Note: I’m sure there are many ways to mash bananas, but my favorite is to put them in a small bowl and use a pastry blender to mash them.

Please add a link to your gluten free dessert (or dinner) idea.

1. Jessie (Choc-chip cookies)
2. Gina (Creme Caramel)
3. Brian (Chocolate Cake Mix)
4. Jen (Baked Potato Bar)
5. Heather (Chocolate Souffle)
6. The W.H.O.L.E. Gang- Ostrich Steak Strips Stir-fry
7. Amy (Smooth Watermelon Granita)
8. The W.H.O.L.E. Gang-DF, GF Blueberry Ice Cream & Blueberry/Blackberry Mini Pies
9. Cheryl (Rita's Ice)
10. Mikki (Chocolate dipped strawberries)

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I would NEVER have thought of using mayo! Wow!
Jessie at Blog Schmog
 
At first I was taken aback. Mayonnaise? But then I thought about what is in mayo: egg and oil, primarily. Those things are usually in a banana bread anyway! Good save!
 
The best cooks can improvise on a dime...I learned that from my Grandma Ruth. A little bit of this, a little bit of that, and it always tastes incredible. So glad your cake was a success.

I hope you had a wonderful anniversary weekend!
 
That looks wonderful! We love banana bread!
 
Wow, that looks good! And easy to make DF!
 
Oooh, my husband will love this recipe! I'm going to make it to surprise him when he gets home from a business trip this weekend! I love the idea of mayo instead of sour cream! Always happy with a dairy free substitute so I can eat it too :)
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]