June 28, 2009

 

Strawberry Rhubarb Topping

My family enjoyed this strawberry rhubarb pie so much that I made a second one not long after making the first. That used up the two Whole Foods pie crusts that I had bought. Instead of buying more, I decided I wanted to try making my own pie crust. I bought more strawberries and rhubarb, but they were starting to go bad and I still didn’t have time to put together a pie from scratch. That’s when I decided to make a topping.

The topping is similar to the pie filling, but uses less sugar. We ate it on ice cream, but it would also be good on cake or even biscuits.

Strawberry Rhubarb Topping

Ingredientsstrawberry rhubarb topping

Instructions

In a medium saucepan combine the rhubarb, 1/4 c. water and sugar. Stir and bring to a boil. Simmer about 5 minutes. Combine the cornstarch and 2 Tb. water. Add to the pot while stirring. Cook about 1 minute. Stir in the vanilla and then the strawberries. 

This was delicious with Breyers vanilla ice cream.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I've never eaten rhubarb. What is the flavor and texture like?
 
It has a tart, but unique flavor. I like it raw, but my kids say it's too sour. It's a little stringy, but you don't notice it much when it's cut in pieces. It is crunchy raw and soft when cooked.
 
That looks fantastic! I love rhubarb, but the only thing I ever make is a rhubarb coffee cake.
 
YUM! My mouth is drooling just looking at that!
 
I have a little leftover rhubarb that I froze, I think a topping for vanilla bean ice cream would be just about perfect.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]