June 5, 2009

 

Mushroom & Beef Sauce

I grew up disliking mushrooms, although I don’t know when I ever tried them. About the time I started college, my older brother became interested in cooking. I remember him sautéing mushrooms in butter, and I thought they looked disgusting. The smell, however, grew on me. Eventually I tasted them, and after that I was hooked.

I have not cooked with mushrooms a lot in recent years, but that is changing. Out of the five people in our family, three are left handed (including me) and two are right handed (including my husband). For a long time the lefties liked mushrooms and the righties didn’t. Surprisingly, my oldest son changed sides a few months ago. Now it’s four to one.

I’ve been using mushrooms more and more, and my hubby is picking them out less and less. He hasn’t yet said that he likes them, but I think we might just get there.

This is another simple gluten-free stovetop recipe. The sauce would be great without the beef, but as a main course, my family needed some meat in it.

Mushroom & Beef Sauce

Ingredientsmushrooms & beef sauce

Instructions

In a large skillet, brown and drain the ground beef. Set it aside in a bowl. Clean and slice the mushrooms. Add the butter or olive oil to the skillet and heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Mix the rice flour with the cold water. Add the wine, broth, and rice flour mix to the skillet. Stir well. Heat until boiling then cook about 2 minutes. Stir in the beef. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice or noodles.

The topic of today’s Friday Foodie Fix is mushrooms. For more recipes visit The W.H.O.L.E. Gang.

Labels: ,


Comments:
If your husband is a typical guy he may never admit to liking a mushroom after such protests. At least that's how it rolls with my 3 guys. This looks great! Thank you for sharing it on Friday Foodie Fix.
 
I make a similar recipe that's a favorite in my house. But, I add cooked, chopped bacon. More fat and calories, but also adds lots of flavor. Maybe your husband can overlook the mushrooms if there's plenty of bacon?
 
Linda, this recipe looks great! It's sort of a stroganoff without all the dairy and fat. Yum.

I enjoyed your comments about how the family has come to appreciate mushrooms, too. My husband has always been a mushroom lover, but it's only the last year or so that I've come to enjoy them. Baby bellas are my favorite right now.

BTW, I added you to my blogroll. I like your simple, but wonderful recipes that use naturally gf ingredients, plus I like all the info you share here at your site. :-)

Thanks for this recipe!
Shirley
 
I'm eating this right now and it's fantastic. Tinkyada fettucini makes a good egg noodle substitute.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]