March 10, 2009

 

Baked Salmon and Fries - What’s for Dinner Wednesday

what's for dinner wednesday 5

Welcome to What’s for Dinner Wednesday (gluten-free style). At the end of my dinner ramblings, you will find links to other blogs with gluten-free dinner ideas. We would love for you to join by adding your link. If you have not participated before, please read the guidelines here.

A Birthday Dinner

My husband is easy to please when it comes to food. He is not adventuresome which means that going out to eat to try new things is not his idea of fun. It does mean that on his birthday he is very happy to stay at home and eat something I prepare. This is his birthday dinner. It is simple, gluten-free, and delicious.

baked salmon and fries

Baked Salmon

The weather was warm enough that I was going to grill the salmon, but the grill wasn’t working after sitting all winter.

I placed a large salmon fillet on two sheets of aluminum foil, one piece of foil going each direction. I sprinkled the fish with lemon juice and “Old Bay with garlic and herb” seasoning. I wrap it tightly in foil and lay it on a baking sheet. I baked it at 450 degrees simply because I was also using the oven for the potatoes. It baked about 15 minutes.

Oven Fries

I don’t have exact amounts for this. Just use the amount

of potatoes you need and vary the rest according to taste. Try adding different seasonings for variety. I have been meaning to try Old Bay on the potatoes but didn’t since I had it on the fish.

Cut the potatoes lengthwise into wedges or fry shapes. The larger you cut them, the longer they need to bake. I rinsed mine after cutting them because they seemed very starchy. Put them in a large bo

wl and lightly coat them with olive oil. Add the garlic and seasonings, except the parsley and toss with a large spoon or spatula.

Spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees about 25 minutes, turning half way through. If you would like them more brown, put them under the broiler for a few minutes. Add the parsley and toss to coat.

Steamed Broccoli

This is by far my family’s favorite vegetable, but it has to be the right broccoli cooked and served the right way.

The right broccoli: Frozen broccoli doesn’t cut it. The stalks of fresh broccoli I find at the grocery store don’t cut it. What my family likes is the broccoli pieces that are cut and washed and sold at my local BJ’s Club warehouse. The flower part on these pieces is somehow different

than what I get on the regular stalks.

Cooked the right way: It has to be lightly steamed. Not boiled, roasted or fried. The broccoli should be just barely tender. Not too crunchy and definitely not mushy.

Served the right way: Tossed with a little butter and salt.

What did you have for dinner?

Note: To help build community, remember to leave comments when visiting other blogs. Please also remember to have a link back here somewhere in the text of your dinner post.


1. Jessie (Baked Potatoe-woes)
2. Stacey (Pepper Beef Stir Fry
3. Diane ( The W.H.O.L.E. Gang)
4. Rachel (Tuna noodle casserole)
5. Debbie (Turkey with apples-Crock Pot)
6. Melanie( cabbage and beef)
7. Wendy(Polenta)
8. Mikki (Oriental Chicken and Broccoli/Cheese Casserole-Thingy)
9. Cheryl (pork chops, rice, & spinach)
10. Brian (chicken pot pie)
11. Daniel (grilled chicken, vegetables)

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I can't believe it's Wednesday again! I can't wait to see what everyone has on the menu for this week.
 
I haven't had a chance to add a new recipe due to a death in the family.
I linked to an old recipe that we really enjoyed.
 
You all have awesome recipes. Thanks for sharing. I'm getting hungry.
 
Sorry so late,this really was dinner tonight. Now that I've been fed, I'll check out all the other dinners.
Thanks.
 
Stacy - sorry to hear about your loss.

Everybody - thanks for sharing these recipes. As a fairly new kid to this joyous gluten-free life, I appreciate it super much!

Hope you like my recipe.
 
Yum, salmon is my FAVORITE fish.
 
Happy birthday to your well fed husband!!

I know we've talked about this before, but oven fries really are great :)

If actually was cooking these days rather than just warming up food from the freezer, I'd love to participate in this cool project. Once my rheumatoid flare is over, and I'm back in the saddle..er...kitchen, I'll start joining for [what's for] dinner! :)
 
Happy birthday to your well fed husband!!

I know we've talked about this before, but oven fries really are great :)

If actually was cooking these days rather than just warming up food from the freezer, I'd love to participate in this cool project. Once my rheumatoid flare is over, and I'm back in the saddle..er...kitchen, I'll start joining for [what's for] dinner! :)
 
That is a much healthier way to do fries rather than the stuff you'l find in the restuarants and how good is brocoli?!

A little late but here's another great recipe that takes less than 10 minutes to whip up!

enjoy the GF feeds that are healthy for you too!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]