February 3, 2009

 

Bacon, Egg, and Rice Casserole

button-whats for dinner3

Last night I got creative and made my own casserole. Now you have to keep in mind that the word creative is relative. I’m not a terribly creative person, and my family’s tastes are limited. Therefore, by creative I mean that I made it up, not that it’s very exciting, interesting, or unique. My family did like it very much, however, so I will share my recipe with you.

If any of you who are more creative than I am have any bright ideas for a better name, let me know.

Bacon, Egg & Rice Casserole

Ingredientsrice & egg casserole

Instructions

Cook the rice and quinoa together in chicken broth. I used 3 cups of broth and cooked it for 5 minutes under low pressure in my pressure cooker. It could also be cooked using the regular stovetop method or in a rice cooker.

Once you get the rice cooking, start frying the bacon until crispy. Slice or chop the mushrooms and sauté them in a little oil or butter. Beat the eggs together and scramble them on the stovetop. Don’t cook them too dry since they will be baked with the casserole.

Make the cream of mushroom soup (cream of chicken would work just as well). I had a lot of pots and pans going for this recipe, but the cleanup wasn’t too bad.

When the rice is done, combine everything except for the cheese, and spread it into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. The ingredients are already hot or at least warm, and everything is cooked so it doesn’t need to bake long.

Note: You could substitute brown rice for the white rice, or either brown or white rice for the quinoa. For that matter, you could use all quinoa. This combination worked well for my family. They are not especially fond of brown rice or quinoa, but they didn’t mind the quinoa in this recipe at all.

Have you done any creative cooking this week?

Labels: , ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]