November 13, 2008

 

Gluten-Free Muffins

I'm not sure why I haven't made muffins in a while. They're good for breakfast and snacks. I usually make a double batch because one batch just doesn't last very long. If I want to have them for breakfast, I save time in the morning by either mixing the dry ingredients together the night before or making the muffins the night before.

This is a basic recipe which you can vary in many ways. It doesn't have a lot of starch in it so the muffins aren't tall and fluffy. They are soft, however, and using whole grain flour adds to the nutritional value. I realize that most people cannot find brown sweet rice flour. I don't think I've ever seen it for sale. I buy brown sweet rice at the health food store and mill it myself. The sweet rice flour helps keep the muffins moist. I think it will work as well with white sweet rice. I made some of these muffins yesterday and had some for breakfast this morning without warming them up! They were a little cold (room temperature) but still soft! The only addition I put in these was crushed pineapple, but you can have lots of fun trying different additions, flavoring, and spices.




Basic Gluten-Free Muffin Recipe

Ingredients
    1/2 c. brown rice flour 1/4 c. + 2Tb. brown sweet rice flour 1/2 c. sorghum flour 1/2 c. tapioca starch 1/3 c. sugar 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum 1 Tb. baking powder 1 tsp. unflavored gelatin (optional) 1/2 - 1 tsp. spice (optional depending on what additions you are using and what flavors you like) 1/4 c. oil 2 eggs 1 tsp. vanilla extract (or other flavoring such as lemon) 1 - 1 1/4 c. liquid/milk 1/2 tsp. salt additions (see note)

Instructions
In a medium sized bowl combine the dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl or measuring cup combine the wet ingredients and add to the dry ingredients. (If you are using wet additions such as canned fruit, use 1 cup liquid.) Mix just until moistened. Fold in additions. Put in greased muffin tin and bake at 400 degrees for 18 - 20 minutes.

Additions:
fresh fruit, chopped
canned fruit - Use the juice as part of the liquid. I add 20 oz. crushed pineapple to a double batch of muffins. For pears or peaches, chop the fruit before adding it.
nuts
raisins
chocolate chips
coconut
grated zucchini

View Printable Recipe

Labels: ,


Comments:
Thank you for the recipe. I love muffins and imagine adding some craisins or other dried fruit. YUM.
 
I've noticed on most of your recipes you use individual flours instead of a ready-made mix of flours.
Have you found that this texture/quality is actually better this way?

I prefer to use the flour mix I make up just b/c it saves a little time, but maybe I'm losing out on the texture?

Jennifer
 
You can certainly try substituting a flour mix for any of my recipes and you will probably get good results. There might be a difference in texture, though. I think sorghum flour really improves the texture. I have purposely posted individual flour amounts in my recipes so people can duplicate my results if they want to.

I do use flour mixes at times, but I don't have one I'm truly happy with for all my baking. If I'm making a cake, I don't mind it having a lot of starch. It's a dessert after all. If I'm making something that is a part of our regular diet, such as muffins, I want it to have more nutrition. I have considered coming up with my own flour mix for this sort of baking, but haven't done it yet. I'm hesitant to add to the numerous flour mixes that are out there in cookbooks and on web sites.

Feel free to post a comment if you get good results using a particular flour mix with a recipe. That will let other people know what works.
 
Well,
i made them! They were very good! Again I had to substitute white rice flour for the sorghum and I did use sweet white rice instead of the brown, but they were VERY good.

Thanks again for a good recipe!

Jennifer
 
Thanks for letting me know how the recipe worked for you.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]