November 14, 2008

 

Frugal Wall Decor

I'm not good a decorating. I don't have a natural talent for it, and I hate spending lots of money on something that just hangs on the wall. However, I do want our home to look nice, and I prefer to not have totally bare walls. As a result, I have come up with a few inexpensive decorations over the years.

When I wanted something to decorate a long stretch of soffit in our kitchen eating area, I decided to go with a bird theme. I bought a box of note cards. Each card has a different bird on the front. I then bought some inexpensive frames at Ross or somewhere similar. If you look closely, you can see that the card is a little smaller than the frame on the sides. I suppose some matting would take care of that, but like I said, I'm not a decorator, and it's hardly noticeable when they are high up on the wall. I don't remember how much I paid for the cards and the frames, but it was relatively inexpensive.



Here is a picture I bought years ago at a yard sale for a few dollars. I did replace the frame at some point.

Here is a picture I got from my local freecycle group. It was free!



These wall plaques I bought at Kohl's when there was a good sale and I had a coupon. They were pretty inexpensive. They are small so they look nice in bathrooms or other small areas.



I have a fruit theme in the cooking area of my kitchen. Inexpensive plates like this can be found at thrift stores, dollar stores, and yard sales. Maybe you'll even find a plate hanger to go with it. While this one isn't anything fancy, it helps fill in some space.




A few other ideas:



For more Frugal Friday ideas visit Biblical Womanhood.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I do enjoy decorating but keep on a strict budget. As a result, all but one of the pictures I've hung are pictures I took myself, in garage-saled or gifted picture frames! (It helps that photography is a hobby). But for several years I did the cards-in-frame thing, too.

I've also been into plates on the wall, lately. Some of our dinner plates were on the kitchen wall for a while, until I could find a rock-bottom clearance set of plates I liked. :) I enjoy the softening effect of round plates on our boxy apartment.
 
Great ideas! I've cut pictures from fronts of cooking magazines and framed them for my kitchen. I ilke to hang seasonal things on my walls, and if I don't have enough to take up all my hooks, I hang family pictures.
 
Great Ideas!

I have framed a lot of my children's artwork. It is amazing what a frame and mat can do to create a "masterpiece" and no matter how old my boys get, they are really pleased to have their work hanging on the walls.
 
Ooh, good ideas. I am so anti-decorative. I would like put something up on my bare walls though!
 
You should try calendars or wall paper books. The stores throw the discontinue one away.
 
Your wall decoration ideas are comparatively cheaper but very attractive.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]