October 3, 2008

 

Applesauce Cake

This great recipe comes from a fellow blogger at Gluten-free is Life. I've made just a few changes.



Gluten-Free Applesauce Cake

2 1/2 c. gluten free flour mix (I used 1 1/2 c. rice mix and 1 c. sorghum mix)
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (I used apple pie spice, but would increase it next time)

1/4 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 c. applesauce
1/2 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. raisins (optional)(I left these out)
3/4 c. chopped nuts (optional) (I forgot these)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray.

In a small bowl combine the flour and next five ingredients. In your mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and mix. Add the applesauce, water and vanilla and mix. Add the flour mix and beat just until incorporated. With a large spoon or spatula fold in the raisins and nuts.

Pour into the baking pan and bake for 45-50 minutes.

I made a simple glaze using powdered sugar, milk and maple syrup. Gluten-free is Life has a yummy sounding recipe for Maple Nut Frosting.

The cake was soft and moist and everyone wanted seconds. I find that using the two flour mixes together (Bette Hagman's basic mix and Carol Fenster's sorghum mix) gives baked goods a nice texture. The sorghum mix makes a softer product, but sometimes, especially if it's a moist recipe, it gets too soft, almost gummy.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Linda, you are my go-to woman for recipes now :) I made some homemade applesauce for muffins last week and had about 1.5 cups leftover. I came over here to see if you had a cake recipe :) I made this for a party last Saturday, with the Maple Nut Frosting (except no nuts), and everyone loved it. I got several comments that they had no idea it was GF :) The frosting was super-sweet, but super-good. I love how your recipes don't rely heavily on dairy or soy & I find them so easy to adapt to our needs. Thank you!
 
Okay looking at cakes when I'm trying to eat really healthy and fit into my dress this weekend...not a smart idea!
 
Last night I made these in a jelly roll pan and used currants instead of raisins and put the maple glaze on them. This morning, they taste - and feel - much like an unrolled cinnamon roll. YUM! Thanks!
 
Anonymous ~ Thanks for letting me know. I haven't made this cake in a while, but now I'm anxious to try it your way.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]