September 10, 2008

 

Sorghum Flour Bundt Cake

gluten-free sorghum flour bundt cake
I tried out my new sorghum flour, and I'm happy to report I had great results. I made a bundt cake the other night that had wonderful texture. I adapted the recipe from Carol Fenster's Gluten-Free Quick & Easy.


Gluten-Free Bundt Cake Recipe


3/4 c. sorghum flour
3/4 c. potato starch
1/2 c. tapioca starch
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/3 c. butter or oil
2 large eggs
1 Tb. lemon zest or lemon extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. buttermilk (I used kefir. You could also try milk with 1 tsp. vinegar)

Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Beat the butter, add the eggs and lemon zest (I used extract) and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Pour batter into a sprayed or greased bundt pan. Bake at 325 for 50 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and transfer to a wire rack. I added a simple glaze of powdered sugar and milk.

I wasn't able to get a good picture of an individual slice. I wanted to show you the texture, but you'll have to take my word for it. It was very soft. The sorghum gave it a tan color which made my husband think it was a spice cake. It would work well for that too, if you added some spices and left out the lemon.

If you haven't already guessed, the cake was gone in no time!

Labels: ,


Comments:
That cake looks amazing!!! Great job!! Jon loves lemon cake, and I have a brand new silicone bundt pan that is screaming to be used!
 
I just made the Cinnamon Bundt Cake, it's excellent! Very moist & yes it looks & smells like a spice cake! I did substitute coconut milk for the sour milk - we also have a casein allergy! Thank you so much for such a great recipe!
 
Nicks Mom, You're welcome, and thanks for letting me know. It will be helpful to others to know that coconut milk works well.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]