September 4, 2008

 

Chocolate Cake and Silicone Bakeware

I tried out the silicone bakeware that I recently bought, and I'm very pleased. I made a chocolate cake recipe that I know works well and put half the batter into the cake pan and half into cupcake holders. They both turned out well. I didn't spray the containers and afterward read that you should. A little bit stuck to the silicone, but the cake came out easily.

Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Recipea piece of gluten-free chocolate cake

2 c. gluten-free flour mix (I used Bette's)
2/3 c. cocoa powder
2 tsp. xanthan gum
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tb. cinnamon

1 2/3 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 - 2 tsp. almond extract
1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. hot water (maybe slightly less)

Combine the first six ingredients in a medium sized bowl. In your mixer bowl combine sugar, eggs and extracts. Beat several minutes until light.

On low speed beat in the mayonnaise. Alternate adding the flour mix and water, starting and ending with the flour. Hold back about 2 Tb. of water. You might have to see what works best for you. I find that if I add the whole cup the cake ends up a little sad (but still tasty). This batter is thick and fluffy.

Spread into two round cake pans or one 9 x 13 inch pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire racks.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I"m curious what you made/used for icing? This looks great! I'm going to try it for our daughter who has Celiac.....
Jennifer
 
Hi, Jennifer. Thanks for your comments. I used Duncan Hines creamy home-style classic chocolate icing.
 
The chocolate cake recipe is similar to a gluten-free one that I devolped and you all may want to try. I used 1 cup of strong coffee (cooled of course) rather than hot water. I basically followed the recipe for Hersheys Black magic cake substituting the flour with Bob's Red Mill All-purpose Flour Mix and I love it! And I do not mind the bean taste - as the chocolate covers it up anyway! Similar to above but with 1 cup of buttermilk also - very moist chocolaty cake! Terri in St. Paul, MN
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]