August 29, 2008

 

Gluten-Free Mexican Lasagna


This casserole dish has been a great hit with my family and many others. It’s good for feeding a moderate sized crowd (just like regular lasagna) because you can make three or four recipes ahead of time then just heat them in the oven. Cornbread goes great with this. One recipe feeds our family of five with maybe a little leftover. Double it to make the larger typical lasagna size.

Gluten-Free Mexican Lasagna





Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef
1 pkg. Taco seasoning (McCormick)
1 onion, chopped
1 can refried beans
8 oz. tomato sauce
Corn tortillas, cut in strips
Shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese

Directions:
Brown the beef and sauté the onion in a skillet. Add the seasoning mix and prepare according to the package. Combine the beans and tomato sauce and place a little of this mixture in the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish (I spray it first). Add a layer of tortillas, putting them on any way you want to cover the space, but overlapping them some. Add half the beef mix, spreading it out to the edges. Sprinkle on cheese to cover (how much depends on how cheesy you like it). Spread half the remaining beans on top. Repeat layers of tortillas, beef, cheese, and beans. Top with some additional cheese, or reverse the last two layers so that the beans go on top of the beef and you end with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.



 This recipe is linked to Cooking for a Crowd and  Today's Housewife.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing it with us!
 
That looks good! My sister makes something simialr called "Burrito Casserole" that uses ground beef, taco seasoning, refrid beans, onions, cheese, tomatoes and Hormel Chili w/beans over all of it. She then tops with cheese. I think I like the idea of yours better....the ground beef & chili is almost too much.

Kim
 
I made this recipe the other night and it was great! We put a generous dollop of gf sour cream on top and that just made it!!My hubby who is the gluten free one liked it and said that I could add it into our rotation!
 
I just made this today. Since it is summer and the fresh veggies are in, I decided to add some fresh corn....it is delicious. Next time I think I'll add some chopped zucchini!
 
This was just okay. It was better the next day, heated up, but it was a very heavy dish. It really needed a lighter layer or some veggies or maybe both. It reminded me of frito pie in flavor, but just much denser and kind of mushy in texture. I wouldn't make it again without significant revisions.
 
This looks good-thanks for linking up to the Four Moms cooking for a crowd link fest!
 
Yum yum! You had me at "Mexican"!
 
Enchiladas are great for a crowd, that's for sure!

Adding rice or corn kernels would probably lighten it up a bit, I would guess.
 
I made this for my family the other night and they all liked it. I was diagnosed with Celiac in March 2009 so I am always looking for good recipes that I can eat and the family will like as well. Thanks for posting the recipe.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]