June 14, 2010

 

Honeyed Beets

I have never been a fan of beets.  Because my mom likes beets, I have eaten them before.  However, until last week, I had never cooked them myself.  I received a small bunch of beets in my CSA box, and I was determined to do something with them (besides give them away).    If you don’t know what CSA stands for, look for my explanation on Thursday.

beets - bunch

I looked at a few recipes and decided that honeyed beets sounded good, and I thought the honey might help my family to like them better.  I combined ingredients and amounts from several recipes and came up with the one below.  As expected, my family was skeptical about the beets, but they’ll try anything once.  And, as expected, everyone but my pickiest eater liked them. At first my husband said I had ruined them with the honey sauce (I didn’t even know he liked beets!), but then he gave them a good try and was soon reaching for seconds, admitting that I didn’t ruin them after all.

Honeyed Beets


beets - honeyed in dish
Wash and trim the beets.  Leave about 2 inches of the stem and do not cut the root. 

beets - whole uncooked


Pressure cook:  Add about 1/2 water to the bottom of your pot.  Use a steaming trivet or basket and cook the betts under high pressure for 10 -12 minutes.  Mine were small, so I started with 8 minutes, but ended up cooking them for a total of 12 minutes.

Boil:  You can also cook the beets in 6 c. boiling water with 1 tablespoon vinegar added to preserve the color and 1 teaspoon salt.  Cook 40 – 50 minutes until tender.

Steam:  Place water in the bottom of a pot.  Use enough to cover the bottom of the pot well (1/2 inch) but not enough to touch the bottom of the steamer basket.  Place whole beets in the basket, cover, and heat on high until the water is steaming.  Reduce the heat and cook for 40 – 50 minutes until tender.  Keep an eye on the pot and add more water if needed.

After beets are cooked, run cold water over them.  Remove the skin, root, and stem.  Slice the beets and cut into long pieces, or simply chop them.

beets - cooked & cut

In a saucepan, cook the onion in melted butter until tender.  Combine the lemon juice and corn starch and add it to the onions along with the salt and honey.  Cook until boiling and slightly thickened.  Stir in the beets mixing gently and heat until the beets are hot through.  Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with fresh parsley.

beets - honeyed in bowl 2

For more delicious recipes visit  Tasty TuesdayTempt My Tummy Tuesday, Delicious Dishes, and Friday Foodie Fix.

View Printable Recipe

Labels:


Comments:
Wow! I've never had beets before (because my mom doesn't like them) and I've never had any desire to try them, but you might have changed my mind. They look really good!
 
I love beets but I have never been able to get my family to eat them.
 
I love beets! Glad you found a way to enjoy them. My favorite way to enjoy them is roasted. Linda, yours looked small and tender enough that you could even go without peeling them before roasting - just cut them into quarters, toss in a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast in an oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or so. They're so intensely sweet that way. Also good with balsamic vinegar drizzled on afterwards. Yum.
 
Great post, Linda. If there's anything that will get me to try beets it might be this recipe because it includes honey. Love using our bees' honey and, well, honey is just wonderful stuff. Thanks so much for sharing this one, Linda.

Shirley
 
Yum! This will come in handy when my beets arrive from the CSA.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]