May 6, 2010

 

Create a Gluten-Free Cake Challenge

Monthly Challenge

Cake is traditionally used to celebrate birthdays, weddings, and baby showers, among other other special events.  With a birthday in our family this week, I thought it would be fun to have a cake challenge.  I’m hoping that the month of May will not be too hot for another baking challenge, but I promise that the challenges for June through August will not use the oven.

I know many of you omit other ingredients from your cooking and baking such as dairy and sugar, and you do a great job of coming up with tasty appetizing recipes.  I particularly enjoy seeing how people make dessert recipes like cake healthier than they usually are.  It’s true, cake is not generally considered healthy.  In my mind, it’s a treat.  That’s why we use it for special occasions. 

If you want a starting place, you can try this basic recipe.

Basic Gluten-Free Cake
With a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Combine the dry ingredients and add to the mixing bowl alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mix. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan or 2 round cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees 30-40 minutes for the rectangular pan or 25-30 minutes for the round pans. Let the cake cool in the pans about 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack.

You could also try adapting a gluten filled recipe, or just make some changes to a gluten-free recipe.  You can view my cake recipes on this page.

Remember, you have a month to work on this.  The cake roundup will be on June 2nd as part of Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

Labels:


Comments:
Oh no, not cake! Just kidding :) I've been trying NOT to make a cake for a couple months now. I'm afraid that I'll eat the whole darn thing if I bake one... haha. But no, this'll be awesome, I've really been looking for that perfect excuse to try a gluten, dairy, and sugar free cake. I'll see if I can come up with something - and see if I can find people to share it with lest it all go to the my hips!!! :)

~Aubree Cherie
 
Haha my comment is the same as Aubree's! Too bad we don't live in the same city. We could come up with a gluten free, dairy free, sugar free cake and help each other eat it!
 
I love Cake! I am ready to make one really bad one. It is a treat after all. Come to think of it I want to make two. One bad one(or devilishly good?) and one good one. Because who doesn't like to eat cake? And no one should be left out :)
 
I used to crave cake so much before I went gluten-free. Now, I don't even think about it. Until someone has a birthday cake and there is a humungous Costco cake there. I used to love those!
 
Hey Iris - maybe we could each make half a cake? :P

Love it :)

~Aubree Cherie
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]