February 9, 2010

 

Quinoa & Millet Pilaf

quinoa & millet pilaf
Millet has become one of my favorite new foods.  You’ve probably noticed that I use millet flour frequently in baked goods.  I also like whole millet.  It’s a grain just like rice and quinoa and is cooked in the same way.  For this recipe I combined equal amounts of quinoa and millet and cooked them together.  The millet turned out a little firmer than the quinoa, but it was cooked.

I cook my grains in the pressure cooker, because it is so easy that way.  I only need 1 1/2 cup water or broth for 1 cup of grain and I cook it for 5 minutes under high pressure.  When using the traditional method to cook them, follow directions on the package.  The millet will require a longer cooking time so you could probably put in the total amount of water needed for the quinoa and millet, start the millet cooking, then add the quinoa about half way through.

If you’re wondering about the delicious looking fish in the photo, that is Heather’s Parmesan tilapia recipe.

Gluten-Free Quinoa & Millet Pilaf

Cook the quinoa and millet according to package directions (see my note above).  Heat a skillet with the butter or olive oil.  Add the copped onion and cook while you dice the zucchini.  Add the zucchini to the skillet and sauté until just tender.  Add the garlic to a cleared area in the skillet and cook it for about a minute until it becomes aromatic.  Add the parsley, salt, and pepper, and combine it with the other ingredients.

Gently mix together the quinoa, millet and vegetables.  Check the amount and salt & pepper and add more if needed.

This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Labels:


Comments:
I love this. Sounds so healthy, so tasty!
 
I haven't tried the whole grain millet yet. I haven't noticed it in the stores. I'll have to look next time. I love the color the red quinoa adds to the dish. Looks good.
 
We are definitely in the same club. I love using millet, esp for baking. I've never combined the grains - millet with quinoa - will definitely have to try that. Thanks!
 
I don't think I've used millet yet. Your pilaf looks delicious. I'll have to look for some millet next time I'm at the store.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]