December 4, 2009

 

Rice & Quinoa Pilaf

rice & quinoa pilaf
I have mentioned before that my family likes quinoa mixed with white rice.  I try to use brown rice as much as possible, but old habits are hard to break, and white rice is one of them.  At least I feel better about the nutritional value when I add whole grain quinoa to it.

I decided to add a few pecans to this recipe.  Pecans are probably my favorite nut, and I love the smell and taste of them after they have been toasted.  Toasting is a step that is easy to skip, but it makes so much difference in the flavor of the nuts and whatever you are adding them to.

For this recipe, I toasted them in a dry cast iron skillet.  I prefer toasting them in the oven, though.  To do that, spread the nuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake them at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.  Remember to toast them whole and be careful not to burn them.

Gluten-Free Rice & Quinoa Pilaf

Ingredients
Instructions

Pressure cooker:  In a pressure cooker, combine the rice, quinoa, onion, pepper and garlic along with 2 1/4 c. broth.  Add the lid and bring to low pressure using high heat.  Cook for 5 minutes, remove from heat and let the pressure come down naturally.  Fluff up the rice with a fork and stir in the pecans, and salt and pepper.

Stovetop:  Saute the onion, pepper and garlic until it begins to soften.  Then combine the rice, quinoa, onion, pepper, and garlic in a sauce pan.  Add 3 c. broth (or however much you would usually use).  Bring to a boil and simmer about 20 minutes until the rice and quinoa are done.  Fluff with a fork and stir in the pecans, and salt and pepper.

You can find more whole grain recipes at the Ultimate Recipe Swap.  This post is also linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays and Friday Foodie Fix which has a pecan theme this week.

Labels:


Comments:
Such a cool idea! I've never thought of mixing the two, but I'm sure it would be fabulous!
 
This pilaf looks great to me, Linda. I wouldn't worry about using white rice occasionally. I think it complements the heartiness of the quinoa well. I love everything with pecans so adding them to this dish is wonderful. I admit that I never think of toasting them though, so I'll have to do that next time.

Thanks,

Shirley
 
I love the ideas of pecans in this dish. What a great addition. Thank you for sharing this on Friday Foodie Fix.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]