December 10, 2009

 

Gold Potato Casserole

gold potatoes - served
My family always loves my mom’s gold potatoes.  Both my husband and I come from potato eating families, so you will always find them served at a holiday dinner.  This recipe dresses them up a bit and makes a wonderful gluten-free holiday side dish.

I made these last week when the ladies I play cards with had our annual holiday lunch as my house.  Everyone loved them.  I took plenty of pictures as I was preparing the dish, but almost forgot to take one after it was baked.  I remembered just in time and scooped some onto a small plate for a photo before they were gone.

Besides being yummy, I love the fact that you can prepare this dish ahead of time.  Actually, it is easiest if you do.  Like making potato salad, the potatoes are cooked whole in their skins, cooled, and then peeled.  I find it hard to do all that the day I’m serving the dish, especially if I’m making it for company.  I love being able to make this ahead of time and have one part of the meal done.  My mom often prepares this up to a month in advance and freezes it.

I think the name “gold potatoes” comes from the yellow cheddar cheese used in the dish.  Mom always uses baking potatoes, but when I made it last week, I used gold potatoes.  They worked great and made the dish more gold than ever.

Gluten-Free Gold Potato Casserole

Preheat oven to 350
Ingredients
Instructions
Scrub the potatoes then bake or boil them.  Do not cut or peel them. I cooked mine in the pressure cooker.  Cool the potatoes completely.  Give this step plenty of time.  If the potatoes are still warm in the middle they will be mushy, at least the gold ones were.  Using a small knife, peel the potatoes.  Grate them into a large bowl.  As you get to the end of the potato you may have nothing but lumps.  That’s okay, just throw them in the dish.  They will look like this:
gold potatoes grated In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream, butter, onion, parsley, salt and pepper.
gold potatoes - ingredients Mix it together well, then stir in the cheese.  Remember to reserve about 1/4 – 1/3 c. of the cheese for putting on top of the dish.
gold potatoes - ingred   cheese Fold this mixture into the potatoes.  You don’t want to mash the potatoes, so fold it in using a large spatula or spoon until it is well combined.  Spread it into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish.  Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.  At this point you can refrigerate or freeze the dish.
gold potatoes - in dish Bake at 350 degrees about 35 – 45 minutes until hot and bubbly around the edges.  Baking time will depend on how cold the dish is.

This post is linked to A Gluten-Free Holiday and Holiday Food Fest.

Labels:


Comments:
Oh Linda! This one looks tasty. I will definitely have to try it.
 
Oh my goodness. Linda, this looks just delicious. Love it.
 
This looks like a great hearty potato dish. I just might have to give it a try. By the way Linda, if you get a chance, check out the giveaway I have posted on my blog.
 
Alright Linda...now you have to come over here and clean off my keyboard.....*drooling all over it*!....lol!!! Looks SO good!

Enjoy!
 
This looks so good! Yum! I love Yukon Golds - they're my favorite potato for dishes like this, but especially for mashed potatoes. They're super-creamy. I would love this side dish for Christmas dinner!
 
"Double" gold potato casserole--I love it! I've never grated potatoes before for a dish, but I guess it's pretty easy after they've cooked. I'd love to try this dish, Linda. Thanks so much for sharing it for Holiday Food Fest!

Shirley
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]