November 2, 2009

 

Creamy Vegetable Soup

creamy vegetable soup
Thanks to this soup I have proof that people’s tastes can change for the better.  About five years ago, I made a slow cooker version of this soup that was very similar to this recipe.  I thought it was delicious!  However, the rest of my family did not like it.  Not one of them.  I ended up taking some to my mom who also loved it.

For my husband, the problem was the sweet potatoes.  He’s an Idaho boy and grew up on Idaho potatoes, not sweet potatoes.  He doesn’t like them.  Or, I should say, didn’t like them.  In the past year he has tried and liked sweet potato fries.  What a surprise!  I decided to give this soup a try again, and was hoping he would think the chunks of sweet potatoes were carrots.  He was not to be fooled, but surprise again!  He liked it!

Not only that, but everyone liked the soup!  In fact, as I was preparing it and while we were eating it, I heard comments like, “Mmmm, that smells good,” and “Hey, this is really good.”  I couldn’t help but smile, and after everyone had told me they liked it, I told them the story from five years ago.  I hope it’s an encouragement to those of you with picky eaters.

I varied the recipe slightly by using celery instead of broccoli, which we like but I was out of.  Also, I did not include regular potatoes and I cut the amount of butter in half.  I served this soup with drop biscuits as a meatless meal.  The soup was packed with vegetables which we found quite filling.  My guys wouldn’t like meatless more than once a week, but they’re okay with it sometimes, especially when it tastes yummy. 

This recipe could easily be made vegetarian by substituting a vegetable broth for the chicken broth.  For you dairy free folks, milk is added to this soup giving it the term creamy, but I’m not sure creamy is really the right word.  I like the taste the milk gives it, but the soup would be good without it.  You could just add extra broth, or use a milk substitute.

Gluten-Free Creamy Vegetable Soup

In a large pot, melt the butter.  Sauté the onion until almost tender.  Add the chicken broth, the vegetables, and the seasoning.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are done.  Add the milk and heat just until hot.

Note:  I don’t like mushy zucchini so I added the potatoes first and let them get started cooking before adding the large chunks of zucchini.

This post is linked to Ultimate Recipe SwapTempt My Tummy Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday.  Stop by and look for some naturally gluten free recipes or inspiration for making one.

Labels:


Comments:
I love baking and I love making soup. I always thought it was so difficult and time consuming but it's actually one of the easiest things. This looks very good, thank you. I will make it dairy-free. And Picky-Eaters? Grrrr, what a deterrent to the joy of cooking! But I will not be deterred!
 
My husband and I are soup lovers. This one sounds delicious. Will have to put this one on the stove to cook real soon. Thank you for sharing this!
 
Sounds so yummy - I love soup and biscuits for dinner. (psst, it's only a vegetarian meal if you sub vegetable broth for the chicken) Not to mention it's budget-friendly! I love your addition of sweet potatoes, I think that'd make it a unique and memorable soup.
 
I love vegetable cream soups, this looks great!
 
This does look delicious. The zucchini is a great ingredient. I'm on the lookout for some excellent gluten free recipes to serve to a friend of mine. So great to have website devoted to this now. Thanks for posting.
 
This looks delicious! I think it would add an interesting twist to make it with 1 cup of light coconut milk instead of the milk. I might try it...
 
What a beautiful soup! I love creamy soups. Thanks for the recipe, and congratulations on getting some picky eaters to change their ways.
 
What a GREAT!!! CREAMY!!! soup.
Geri
 
You inspired me Linda! I made a delicious soup tonight with this as my inspiration and coconut milk. I'm posting the recipe right now!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]