April 26, 2009

 

Fruit-Filled Coffee Cake

fruit filled coffee cake 3

It’s funny. I can’t remember what wheat based coffee cake was like. I don’t think the texture of this cake is quite the same. Similar to my drop biscuits in texture and taste, this cake is delicious though.  I looked at several recipes before coming up with this one. I tried cutting the sugar and fat and it worked well. If you want a sweeter cake, increase the sugar by another 1/2 cup. I liked the fact that it wasn’t very sweet and that it used freshly ground whole grain sorghum. My family (including me) ate this up in a snap, although no one had coffee with it.  Having a particularly early dinner one evening, we enjoyed this later for dessert/snack.

I had a can of cherry pie filling in my pantry which I used, but I prefer to stay away from products with high fructose corn syrup. You can certainly make a filling yourself, such as my huckleberry topping. I used butter and milk in this recipe, but I think it would work well using oil and a milk substitute, if you are dairy free.

Gluten-Free Fruit-Filled Coffee Cake

Ingredients

Instructions

Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.  Add the eggs and vanilla and beat for several minutes until fluffy.  Combine the dry ingredients and add them alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mix.

Spread about half the batter (maybe a little more) into the bottom of a sprayed or greased 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan. Spread the pie filling over the batter. I dropped spoonfuls onto it and then spread it out with a fork.

fruit filled coffee cake 1 fruit filled coffee cake 2

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.  If you give it a try, let me know how you like it.

Labels:


Comments:
This looks really good!
 
Yum! I just found a wonderful recipe for poppy seed muffins that turns out wonderfully. Much of it is coconut flour.

I appreciate you so much, & have enjoyed following your blog. I've just tagged you at my blog for the "Attitude of Gratitude" award. http://kateekat.blogspot.com/
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]