April 8, 2009

 

Buckwheat Pancakes

When I was a kid, my mom would try to make perfectly good food healthier by adding things like nuts, raisins, and wheat germ. We never liked it. I remember her making buckwheat pancakes, and I thought they tasted awful! Now I’m a mom and I try to make healthy food, too, but it has to taste good.

Until the other day, I hadn’t eaten buckwheat since I was a kid. I was curious to find out if it was as bad as I remembered, so I made a small batch of gluten-free buckwheat pancakes. Well, I don’t know if my mom had a bad recipe, or bad buckwheat, or if my tastes have just matured, but those pancakes were good!  It wasn’t just a mom thing either, because the whole family liked them.

I looked up several different recipes and combined them into my own recipe.
buckwheat pancakes

Gluten-Free Buckwheat Pancakes

Ingredients
Instructions
In a medium bowl whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  In a separate bowl or glass measuring cup, combine the milk, egg, vanilla, and oil, beating slightly with a fork. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together well.

Let the batter sit and thicken for a few minutes. Heat a skillet very hot and spoon the batter onto the skillet. These brown quickly, and you might need to turn them before you see bubbles on top. Use a spatula to see how brown they are getting. This recipe made 9 medium pancakes.

View Printable Recipe

This recipe is linked to Slightly Indulgent Mondays at Simply Sugar & Gluten Free.

Labels:


Comments:
I'm glad you tried buckwheat. It's one of my favorites. I'm sorry the kind you found is iffy for cross-contamination. I don't know if this is available where you are, but Bob's Red Mill is an Oregon company that does a lot of GF flours. They are very strict about keeping flours segregated. I sent you a link - you can buy it online if you can't find it in your store.
 
LINDA,STOPPED BY FOR A VISIT.THANKS FOR SHARING.I HOPE YOU HAVE A BLESSED DAY!
 
Arrowhead Mills is GF. I grind my own :)
 
Linda,
When I saw the name of your post I was thinking...oh good, maybe she knows a gf buckwheat flour made in a dedicated plant. Even looked at Bob's Red Mill's catalog, but theirs isn't labeled gf. A long time ago I had some Buckwheat flour and thought it was labeled gf from Bob's Red Mill. Maybe they changed their labeling.
Hopefully someone will know.
 
I've too have used Arrowhead mills. The pancakes look terrific.
 
Oh, no! You're right, the Bob's Red Mill Buckwheat flour doesn't carry their GF label. I'm pretty sure I've used Arrowhead Mills, which also has a good brown rice flour.
 
Thanks for everyone's input.

Arrowhead Mills does clean their lines, but they don't have dedicated lines for gf flours. I have had reactions to their products in the past so I prefer to find another option.

Bob's Red Mill doesn't process their buckwheat with the gf flours and it's not marked gf.:(

I like the idea of milling my own buckwheat so I will look into purchasing whole buckwheat at the health food store.
 
Hi. I do not have a specific wheat problem... except that I am trying to eat right for my blood type. As a type A, buckwheat is a big thumbs up and whole wheat is big thumbs down.

I usually made pancakes for the past 20 plus years with white whole wheat, whole wheat, and buckwheat. Yummy!!

So I just made your pancakes (I substituted Oat flour and Brown rice flour for the four mix) VERY good - I was very surprised at how light and lovely they turned out... color too! THANKS!
 
I just started using buckwheat. THANKS!!! for the recipe.
Geri
 
I love buckwheat pancakes and yours look great, Linda. However, I seem to have issues with buckwheat, gf or not. My whole family does, even those who eat gluten, so not sure what that means. But, Birketts Mills cerfies gluten free to the 20 ppm level. I've come to the conclusion that's too much for me, but here's the link for those who are interested:

http://www.thebirkettmills.com/glutenfree_2005.htm

Shirley
 
These pancakes were tasty and puffed up nice and fluffy. Thank you very much!
 
I just made some gluten free buckwheat pancakes, mu subs were a little different but they really are good!
 
Sorry, I'm new to the gluten free world but is Potato Starch the same as Potato Flour? I picked up potato flour on clearance and was wondering if I could use that?
Thanks. bkstevens@cox.net
 
No need to apologize. I'm glad you asked. No, you cannot substitute potato flour for potato starch. The flour is much heavier and the recipes I have seen that use it, only use very small amounts (sometimes 1/2 tsp). Tapioca flour and starch are interchangeable, though.
 
Just came across your recipe this morning and made these for my son. He LOVED them. Thanks! Great recipe!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]