March 5, 2009

 

Sorghum and Cornmeal Porridge

Like most people these days, we are looking for ways to save money. Last week everyone at my husband’s office was told they must take a week off without pay in March. So this month I’m trying especially hard to save money on groceries.

With a bucket of whole grain sorghum on hand, I figure that using sorghum flour is a good way to help make healthy inexpensive meals. (You can read more about milling sorghum here.) Cold cereal can be expensive (gluten-free or not), and even though I don’t buy sugary cereal, it’s still not the healthiest option. That’s what led to making sorghum porridge this week.

Yesterday I made the porridge using only sorghum flour. Today I added cornmeal to it. I don’t have a picture for you because, honestly, it’s not an attractive food. One of my kids who is very picky about texture just didn’t like eating mush. The rest of us thought it was pretty good. Here’s what I did.

Bring 4 1/2 c. water to a boil. Add 1/2 tsp. salt. Slowly add 1/2 c. corn meal and 1 c. sorghum flour while mixing with a whisk. I had a few lumps, but not many. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve with honey or agave nectar and a little butter if desired.

You can adjust the amount by using water that is three times the amount of flour. This made a fairly thick porridge. If you want it thinner, just add more water or serve it with milk. I found that adding hot water is useful when warming up cold porridge.

With some fruit to go along with it, I found this to be a filling and tasty gluten-free breakfast.

Labels:


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]