December 11, 2008

 

Genetic Link Between Type 1 Diabetes & Celiac Disease

An article in US News & World Report states:
"Researchers have identified common genetic mutations between type 1 diabetes and celiac disease, suggesting that the two inflammatory disorders may stem from a shared underlying mechanism. "
"Researchers had previously seen genetic links between type 1 diabetes and celiac disease...But the new research shows there is "considerable overlap, and much more than we anticipated" he said. "Almost every celiac disease susceptibility gene had an effect in type 1 diabetes." "

If you want details, see the article in The New England Journal of Medicine.

Labels:


Comments:
This is so interesting! Thank you for posting this.

I recently (like 4 or 5 posts back) mentioned about the connection between thyroid disease and celiac...its amazing that these three diseases could be linked.

yay medical science, go go go and figure out this autoimmune mess! (says the girl with seven autoimmune conditions and counting, ugh)
 
This is very interesting to me. While I am not diabetic, my father is type 1. I recently arrived at a conclusion that I have some type of gluten "issue", whether it is Celiac I can't say as I haven't been tested. This does make things weigh a bit heavier towards that direction though.
 
My son was just diagnosed with type 1 and celiac within one month of each other. I have hashimoto's thyroid disease. We're just full of autoimmune issues!!!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]