November 21, 2008

 

Why I Love Soup


Money Saving Mom is rounding up Thanksgiving on a Budget ideas. Soup might not be a Thanksgiving day dish, but it's great for Thanksgiving leftovers. Here are some reasons why I love soup.

  1. It's economical. Using leftovers is certainly frugal, and since you're putting the food into a new dish, your family might not even realize they are having leftovers! If you don't have leftovers, great soup can be made with inexpensive ingredients. Less expensive cuts of meat can be used, or you can make it meatless and add beans for protein.

  2. It's extremely versatile. I'll list some ideas below.

  3. It tastes great and hits the spot on a cold evening.

  4. It's healthy. You can pack it full of healthy foods. If you have picky eaters, they might enjoy their vegetables cooked in broth more than they would a plain veggie.

  5. I love it because my family loves it. That makes my job easier.

I'm sure there are more reasons that aren't coming to my mind right now, but that will do to get you thinking about soup. Why do you like soup?


To make soup I start with:

    4 c. broth
    3 c. water

Add ins (as many and as much as you like):
    onions or leeks
    celery
    carrots
    zucchini
    green beans
    tomatoes
    peas
    potatoes
    quinoa
    rice
    noodles
    chicken
    beef
    beans (cooked/canned)
    olive oil
    seasonings (salt, pepper, thyme, basil)
    Parmesan cheese
I cook my soup in a pressure cooker, but you can certainly do it on the stove. Just cut everything to the size needed for them to get done about the same time. Things like potatoes or quinoa can be cooked with the soup or added at the end if it's already cooked. I've listed some possibilities, but there are many more. Add the foods you like and you're sure to enjoy it.

For more Thanksgiving on a Budget ideas visit Money Saving Mom.

Labels:


Comments:
I love soup and I just wish I could get my boys to eat it. I'll keep hoping that one day they will.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]