November 20, 2008

 

Sweet Potato Casserole

Thanksgiving is almost here, and I feel I've let my readers down by not posting any holiday type recipes. There are a couple of reasons why I haven't. One is that I don't have pictures of the recipes, and I don't want to make them now just to get a picture.
The other reason is that I don't remember the last time I was in charge of cooking a Thanksgiving dinner. I have contributed to the meal, but my brother is the real cook in the family. He enjoys it, and he's good at it. I won't argue, especially since he's very good about making most of it gluten-free. I am planning on taking a gluten-free dessert and a side dish, but the main meal is really not on my mind.
For my readers, however, I will overcome those obstacles and post a recipe without a picture! This dish is naturally gluten free. It has quite a bit of sugar for a vegetable dish. However, the kids love it (adults too), and it is for a special occasion.
 Sweet Potato Casserole
Ingredients
    4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
    1/4 c. brown sugar
    1/4 c. butter
    1/2 tsp. salt
    8 oz. crushed pineapple (drained)
    Topping:
    1 tsp. water
    1 Tb. brown sugar
    1 Tb. butter
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    1 1/2 c. miniature marshmallows
    1/4 c. pecans, chopped
Instructions
Peel and cut the sweet potatoes. Cook in water until done, but not overdone. Drain. Add the sugar, butter, and salt. Mash. Mix in the pineapple. Pour into a greased 2 quart casserole dish. Heat in the oven at 350 degrees until hot (about 20 minutes).
Topping: Heat the water, sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg in a pan until melted. Add the marshmallows and toss to coat. Put on top of the sweet potatoes and heat until the marshmallows are melted. Keep an eye on it because the marshmallows will puff up. Sprinkle the pecans on top.
If you're planning a Thanksgiving meal, remember that corn bread is easy to make and enjoyed by all. Also, you don't have to stick with traditional foods. People might enjoy applescotch dessert as much as apple pie.

Labels:


Comments:
Pineapple might do the trick in getting my hubby to eat it. I'll see if it works. Thank you for sharing this on Friday Foodie Fix.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]