August 27, 2008

 

What's New for Breakfast--Baked Oatmeal

gluten-free baked oatmeal
I recently discovered baked oatmeal, and it has been a big hit at my house. I found a lot of recipes, and no two were alike. So I came up with my own. I might still do some tweaking on this and will let you know in the future if I find any great improvements. I’d also love to hear about your baked oatmeal recipe.

If you are on a gluten-free diet, please see my note at the end of this post about oatmeal. I made 1 ½ batches. One batch I used mainstream instant oatmeal. The half batch contained gluten-free rolled oats.

Gluten-Free* Baked Oatmeal Recipe

3 c. rolled oats
2/3 c. brown sugar
1 ½ tsp. Cinnamon
2 tsp. Baking powder
½ tsp. Salt
1 1/3 c. milk
2 eggs, beaten
½ c. cooking oil (or melted butter)
2 tsp. Vanilla extract

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish that is sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes. Cooking time depends on the exact size of your dish. The half batch is spread thinner in the dish I use for it, so it cooks closer to 30 min.


baked oatmeal in a baking dish
I have read (but have not tried) that you can mix it up, put it in the refrigerator overnight, and bake it in the morning.

I have found that using the instant oats makes it hold together, more like a cake. My kids like eating theirs just like it is on a plate. The rolled oats makes it fall apart so I eat it in a bowl with milk. Either way it’s good.

*At one time oats were off limits to the gluten-free diet, but we now know that pure oats do not contain gluten. The oats you find at a regular grocery store, however, are contaminated with wheat due to growing a processing practices. Thankfully, we now have pure, gluten-free oats available to us. I have used Cream Hill Estates Lara's Rolled Oats because that is what my local health food store sells. There are others available also. Having said that, a few people with celiac disease do have trouble with oats, so begin cautiously.

View Printable Recipe

Labels:


Comments:
This looks really good!! I am going to give it a try this week. Have you found GF Instant Oats anywhere? The only GF oats I have found are Lara's and Bob's Red Mill. Neither are cheap, but well worth the $$.

Thanks!
 
No, I haven't found any instant GF oats. Let me know if you find them and I'll do the same.
 
Linda, I have made this twice now for the past week and we love it! The first time I kept to your peanut butter recipee but the second time I added some yogurt, applesauce, cranberries, grated orange peel and chopped walnuts. I cut the fat and sugar and added a little Splenda. I came out a little more dense and like a muffin. I love that I don't have to use any flour!! Thanks! Ali
 
Hi Linda,

So you just make this and eat it like this? Basically instead of a gooey bowl its a baked good?
 
Here's my newest version.

http://www.glutenfreehomemaker.com/2011/01/baked-oatmeal.html

When you use old fashioned oats without breaking them up in a food processor, it falls apart and looks like it does in the above picture. But if you break them up, it will hold together like the picture in my new post.

You can eat it as is or put some milk on it.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]