August 29, 2008

 

The Gluten Counter

I’m sure you’re wondering what a gluten counter is. Well, it doesn’t count gluten. It refers to a kitchen type counter top and a cabinet as well. Here’s how it started…

When I was first diagnosed, my husband and I cleaned out our small kitchen. He still distinctly remembers purging my cabinet of wheat flour as if it were a highly toxic substance. However, my kitchen still contained some gluten. Since I was the only one who had to eat gluten-free I decided that the rest of the family could have their cereal and breads for breakfast and lunch, but dinner would be gluten-free. If I make breakfast for them, such as pancakes, it is also gluten free. Basically, I don’t handle wheat. About the only exception I make on dinners is when we are having hamburgers. They are allowed to put their burger on a regular bun. Any other time we have bread with dinner it is gluten-free.

So where does the counter come in? Well, I found that I was having gluten reactions more frequently than was acceptable, and the gluten counter was our solution. The gluten counter we had at the time was a moveable serving cabinet. It had a counter like surface on top with drawers and cabinet space below. Because my kitchen was small, this was placed in the dining room, and all the gluten containing food was put into it. A toaster for their bread was put on top, and that was where they fixed their sandwiches, made their toast, etc. This kept the crumbs off of my counter tops and away from my food. I noticed a big difference in how often I was getting sick, so we have continued with the gluten counter to this day.

I now live in a house with a larger eat-in kitchen. We have gotten a new gluten counter which sits against a wall at the end of the room where the table is, far from my cooking/food preparation area!

Maybe a gluten counter is just what you need, or maybe you already have one. I’d love to hear from you and find out.

Labels:


Comments:
I wish we had a gluten counter. Maybe this would help with my tummy issues lately. I am either drinking too much coffee, am getting over a virus or am getting CC somewhere. Dh is very good about not contaminating and containing his crumbs, but if this keeps up, something might have to change in the kitchen.
 
How did you clean things up? I need to do this in ds kitchen. I really want him to feel better, he is so thin too, needs to gain weight.
 
Any cabinets that contained flour or other forms of gluten were completely emptied and washed. Everything else was wiped down really well, and cooking utensils and such were thoroughly washed. A thorough cleaning in his kitchen would be a good idea.
 
I was just diagnosed and removed all the gluten foods from my cabinets yesterday! I keep reading about people replacing all their pots, pans, tupperware, wooden spoons, etc. because the gluten sticks to everything "like paint"...is it really that intense? This morning I was thinking about my wonderful spatulas and my cookbooks that have come in contact with flour...

You have a wonderful site. Thank you. I'll be visiting often. :)
 
Jessica, I did not replace everything. I think I replaced wooden spoons, and probably baking pans, but not all my pots and pans. Cookbooks is a tough one. I can see how flour would be in them. If you don't want to replace them, definitely take them outside and flip through them well to get the loose stuff out, and wipe down the outside of the book. Thanks for your comment. :)
 
I think my wife and I will have to do this as well, since we are slowly eliminating other gluten sources in her diet
 
Linda, thank you so much for your advice. This makes so much sense. I think it is time for spring cleaning this weekend.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]